All iPads iPad Air: Is Cellular Model A Must For Navigation Apps?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NJRonbo, Jun 1, 2014.

1. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Quick question....

If I want to take advantage of GPS apps such as Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps or others....

Will a WiFi iPad Air be fine or do I need a cellular version due to the GPS chip inside?

2. joplinG5 macrumors member

If you want Google Maps to go into detail out in the field... then you'll want cellular. If you just need GPS coordinates or a broad map view of where you're at without detail updates... then wifi is fine. I think it's definitely worth the extra 100 bucks or so to go cellular. It comes in VERY handy!

3. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I suppose I am going Cellular again.

Thank You

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Doubly so if T-Mobile is still offering the free data for tablets (that they are not subsidizing).

5. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

What do you have for a cell phone/data plan? You could always tether your phone to your iPad if your data plan lets you.

6. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I do have a tethering plan with AT&T...

...but I don't want to be constantly tethering my entire trip towards the Great White North.

I'll probably either buy the cellular iPad when it comes out in September/October -or- use Co-Pilot Premium which puts maps on the iPad so cellular connection is not needed.

7. Ray Brady macrumors 6502

If you already had a WiFi only iPad, you could use an external GPS receiver like the ones made by Dual. I use one with an iPod touch. However, if you're buying new, the Cellular iPad makes more sense.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Unlike tablets from other makers, the iPad does not come with GPS in the WiFi only model.