iPad iPad Air issues: My unit, iOS7, or some other culprit

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silentbob007, Nov 14, 2013.

1. silentbob007 macrumors regular

Hi all ... I've been an iPad owner since first generation. I've been having issues with my Air and was wondering if I just got a bad unit or if I'm encountering issues that are fairly common. My iPad Air was purchased on launch day and setup as a completely new iPad.

Worst first ... I've been having what seems like a lot of apps crash on me. When I look at the usage reports, I have to continuously scroll for a few seconds to get through all of them. Most are "low memory" tagged, but there are a few others. I've also had a few instances where the iPad has immediately rebooted itself (ie, I tap an icon and suddenly I'm at the Apple logo).

I've noticed some lag in apps that I have used for a long time. For example, I sometimes find using Smule relaxing. Several songs I used to play without issue have serious lag at the start until they finally get smoothed out. I never noticed this on my mini.

Last, I sometimes get irritated that while I have locked rotation in portrait mode, my iPad will randomly put my lock screen image and background image into landscape and then lock it back. I have to unlock orientation shift to landscape, then shift back to portrait to correct everything ... not the worst thing in the world, but annoying.

2. silentbob007 thread starter macrumors regular

At this point I'm figuring I will just return the iPad.

3. ScottW1 macrumors regular

Have been reading all the posts daily since release and have an Air myself. The combination of symptoms you report does not sound "common" at all.

To rule out a software problem or settings corruption, I would recommend connecting to iTunes and performing a full "Restore" then setup as new.

If the problem persists after that, it is likely hardware; perhaps bad memory or who knows what. Time for a genius appointment and an exchange.

4. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad one. I would return it and get another with it rebooting that way. Safari has crashed on a few sights on mine so far but that's it.

Also you might want to check and see if your crashing apps are updated for iOS 7 yet. Last but not least, if you if you restored from a previous generations backup, you should restore as new and install your apps again from the App Store.

Crashing to the Apple logo doesn't sound normal to me. At the least, exchange it. Otherwise return it if your not happy.

5. stooovie macrumors 6502a

I have a lot of Low Memory reports too. This wasn't the case with iPad 4.

But the orientation bugs and crashes in multitasking UI are exactly the same, that's software issue.

6. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I have seen app updates that say they include support for the Air. I don't think you have a bad device.

7. silentbob007 thread starter macrumors regular

As an update ... I returned my original Air and bought another one during Target's Black Friday promo. I also set up this iPad from scratch (did not restore an image). Unfortunately I'm running into the same issues ... mostly app crashes, though I've had a few re-springs to the logo as well.

My general opinion is that iOS 7 for tablets stinks and that the Air is still a majorly flawed device in my workflow until hopefully an iOS update fixes the memory leaks, orientation issues, etc. Definitely disappointing.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Other than Safari, which is buggy in memory management (I strongly suggest to use Mercury Browser), I'm not experiencing a single crash with my Air.

I'm sure iOS 7.0.4 is far from perfection, and I'm looking forward to install 7.1 soon.

9. Altis macrumors 68000

It'll likely be a while before they really get iOS 7 up to what it should be. On top of the Safari crashes, resprings, etc, the overall sluggishness caused by the gaps in touch response really takes away from the excitement over how fast these were supposed to be.

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I seem to have far more app crashes with the air than my previous iPad.

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Got my air on the 25th not one crash yet. I'm on iOS 7.0.3

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Why not 7.0.4 ?