iPad Air kernel panic BSOD

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wessyk87, Jan 6, 2014.

1. wessyk87 macrumors newbie

Hello all, I am having some unique issues that came to a head tonight. Randomly Apps have been crashing randomly, and my iPad has been restarting itself. Tonight I got a sudden blue screen of death (BSOD) followed by a restart, any ideas? This was setup as a new iPad when I got it (not restored from backup:

Any idea?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Restore it in iTunes as a new device. If problem persists, take it to an Apple Store for possible replacement.

3. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

I would say the opposite. Back it up, take it to Apple, do not restore.

Why? Because the issue might not start back up right away after a restore and you just destroyed the crash logs. Better to let them see the issue and the logs in case it is something that can be replaced than restore and have it not start up again until later. Even if they say just restore it you can make sure a note is put in the service file. History can be your friend.

4. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Ugh, I got a new Air that kernal panicked before I could even get to the point of updating software. Won't boot now.

I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it or just return it :-/

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you like the Air, i'd say get a replacement. If you want an excuse to wait for the next refresh then get your money back. KP on a Mac or a BSOD on a Windows PC are typically caused by corrupted or bad memory, peripheral devices with bad drivers.

I would not keep an iDevice if it started to KP. Like the previous poster said, save the logs and take to an Apple Store for an exchange or refund.

6. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Thanks! Yeah, it's one of those things where I talked myself into it (because of the sale at Best Buy), but then after this happens I'm like weeeeeell do I REALLY need it? LOL

7. Mikey86uk macrumors 6502

my iPad Air also just had the blue screen, and won't turn on now!

Havent backed up in a few days, so is there any chance it will spring to life so i can back it up then take it to the Apple Store?

8. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Grr...Best Buy has the Air on sale again.

This isn't widespread or something that crops up on them, is it? My iPad 2 has been the most reliable Apple mobile product I've owned...it's falling apart, but still it's been good...

I really want another tablet for use in bed, but I'm just nervous after that first one. I hate having to return one AGAIN if it doesn't work.

I'm horrible trying to pick out which version I want too. I can't decide between 32 and 64GB, nor wifi and LTE versions (I don't care about the LTE, but I do love having GPS on my iPad 2!)

Ugh...I hate having to pay $100 for 32GB of Flash, and I hate paying $130 to add GPS!

EDIT: Also, for that matter, the Air's screen really isn't big enough to replicate magazines and graphic novels right... Samsung has a 12" crazy high resolution tablet, but yuck to Android, and double yuck to Android gooped up with Samsung junk so the OS will never get updated, so out of the box it really isn't safe to use online and never will be LOL.

9. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

The fact that you don't see a thousand people posting here about the same problem and screaming bloody murder should answer that question for you. :)

I got my iPad Air on the 10th, and I use it heavily every evening, and haven't had one crash so far.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I got my iPad Air on launch day at Sam's Club (got it before the Apple Store opened and didn't even have to wait in line). I haven't had any issues with it outside of it dying because I keep forgetting to charge it. Hearthstone finally being released for iOS isn't helping me remember to charge it, either...