iPad iPad Air: Low Memory and Safari reloads tabs

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NeoiPad, Nov 3, 2013.

1. NeoiPad, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

NeoiPad macrumors member

More often than my previous iPad 3

It's very annoying

[​IMG]

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

It has been reported in other threads here on MR. Perhaps next year Apple will be kind enough to give us 2GB of RAM?

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I have quite a bit too. I had the same issue with the 5S when it first launched, but 7.0.3 reduced the number I have now. Hopefully a 7.0.4 update can help the Air.

4. Powrie macrumors 6502

The error messages say ios7 7.0.3 is an iPhone version.

5. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Which error message?

6. rovex macrumors 65816

This is bad. This is VERY bad.

Seriously, all you can hope is for some updated software to manage ram better.

iOS 8 is going to be a nightmare on this generation.

7. astrorider macrumors 6502

Aren't low memory reports just due to the way iOS handles memory, i.e. it keeps a background application frozen in memory until there's no more free memory, then terminates it and creates a low memory report?

8. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

On "every generation" if your doom-mongering becomes truth. It's no better on iPad 3 or 4 running iOS 7.

9. Powrie macrumors 6502

Those low memory error messages say it when you open the details.

10. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I have a few of those too, but I hardly notice or care that a tab reloads. I guess that's just me.

11. Powrie macrumors 6502

It also says I'm on the iPad 4, but I'm on the new air.

12. 007p macrumors 6502a

If iOS 8 is going to be a nightmare on an iPhone 5s / iPad air, I hate to see what its going to be like on a normal iPad mini / iPad 2...oh wait...its not as big deal as people are making out to be.

My iPad 2 on ios 7 is already filled with these errors and it hardly makes the device unusable....

13. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

You're right, it says iPad4,1 - OS Version: iPhone OS 7.0.3

What does it says on the 4th gen iPad?

14. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

It's almost comical that they taut their all new 64 bit machines & operating system and don't feel the need to spend what? maybe $2- to put an extra GB of ram in.....

15. Branskins macrumors 65816

The OS was called iPhone OS originally before there was an iPad.

After the iPad they never got around to changing it of it is too difficult to change now.

Low memory warnings is how iOS manages memory. The OS will report to every app that the system is experiencing low memory. Each app can then respond to this warning by purging data that can be retrieved again. This is how it works and is not a sign that something is wrong.

Even with 2GB of RAM you would still see theses messages over time

16. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Actually, perhaps not on the 3rd and 4th gen iPads. They have 1GB of ram on 32-bit processors. The A7 uses 64-bit architecture, which according to AnandTech uses 20-30% more memory for the exact same tasks in 64-bit enabled apps, such as every app that ships with iOS 7. So devices such as iPad 2 and Mini with 512MB of ram and iPad Air with ~700MB of usable ram might have more issues going forward. It's a fairly legitimate concern for those who wait 2-3 years between upgrades.

17. 007p macrumors 6502a

I don't think it came down to just cost, of course it had a big part in it but...

If they are still selling the ipad 2 and mini with 512mb, it's not going to look good when apps start requiring 2gb all of a sudden is it? 64 bit or not, the jump from 512mb to 2gb is pretty significant enough to be worried.

18. Branskins macrumors 65816

Well I expect iOS 8 to have visual tweaks, but I expect more optimizations and quality of life improvements. If memory is proving to be an issue for their *brand new iPads* I would hope to see something in iOS 8 if this is truly an issue.

Also their 64 bit frameworks and architecture should see improvements.

When they called the iPhone 5s a forward thinking device (A7 and 64 bit), I would like to think they had a plan for it and not having to kill it off earlier because of low memory...

19. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Maybe, but I would guess that people who still have an iPad 2 are not the people who download a lot of apps.

Anyway, Apple does that all the time with ram, just like they sell you a cable for $29 :) makes them look cheap.....

20. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Why do people worry about this nonsense? Unless it is completely ruining your user experience, who cares? Let iOS take care of it and just use the iPad normally.

This is like when people ordered iMacs with 16GB of RAM and then freaked out and returned them because they saw a page out in the memory manager. Who even looks at that part of the OS?

People are so weird when it comes to this stuff.

21. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I don't seem to have problems with anything but Safari. Perhaps it's an issue with Safari? I use other browsers just fine.

22. RebornProphet Suspended

iPad 4 is model "iPad 3,4".

23. RufusRyker macrumors newbie

I did a test side by side with my ipad4 and iPad Air. I closed all other apps and re-started both devices.

I loaded up safari on both iPads, and I started opening the tabs one by one -- loading the same exact websites on each tab. After opening each tab, I'd go back to the first tab to see if it would re-load.

The result: a tie. I ran the test again with the same result.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm thinking that when people get the 2GB iPad, and it will eventually happen, we're going to still see threads on MacRumors about people who are running into low memory warnings.

But I do agree that it seems weird to have a 64-bit OS and 1GB of RAM.

By the time that iPads get 2GB, we'll be seeing Android tablets with 4.