iPad iPad Air - Low Memory Crashes - Fix

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Cell-666, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Cell-666 macrumors 6502

After slowly getting frustrated at my Air's problems with safari and other app crashes I decided to call Apple about the issue.
    Having sent them the diagnostic logs the Apple rep said it would be best to do a clean instal via iTunes and not a reset on the iPad, which I'd done a week or so ago but had made no difference. He suggested that there may have been a problem with the initial iOS image on the device and by reinstalling via iTunes will overwrite any problem.

The rep did say once you feel the issue is resolved, restore your apps etc from backup. But to be honest I've just reinstalled everything from scratch.

This may not fix it for everyone but I've not had one crash in 10 hours of usage with 5-8 tabs open in Safari. Prior to this refresh I'd be getting a couple an hour at times.

I'm glad it's fixed, it was almost a drive to kick up a stink in my local Apple store!

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I wonder if this explains why some of us haven't had any issues versus other people? Our restore or backup may have been different enough to not cause the problem?

3. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

I feel it's hit an miss. Would be interesting if we knew owners who don't have problem if they never restored from back up.

I'm just a happy bunny now, hopefully 7.1 will bring some bug fixes too.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

And the owners with no problems tend not to come here and complain. we don't see thread titles like

<emoticon MAD> My iPad is NOT crashing. UPset!

5. Cell-666 thread starter macrumors 6502

True :)

6. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Neither worked for me:( Still crashes every other day once or twice in Safari or Mail or Pages... Usually Safari though.

Long list of memory error logs.

7. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Hoping iOS 7.1 will improve the memory management (maybe memory leaks??) but hearing mixes feedback about this from beta tests so far.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

There is a thread about that ... It is Safari, in its 64 bit flavor.
    Actually it's not only Safari but it is the main culprit.

Awaiting for a fix,or just an improvement, I do suggest:
    - use another browser (I'm very happy with Mercury);
    - limit the number of opened tabs;
    - close all the unused apps in background;
    - do a reboot of your iPad once in a while.

With all of the above applied, I still have to see my iPad crashing ...

9. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I've had two crashes since receiving my Air on the 19th December. I set up my iPad from scratch and did not do baby backup/restore.

10. GenomeMan macrumors newbie

Using Atomic browser - no crashes in 3 days. Safari crashed 5-10 times a day.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Doing a clean install is Apple's "aspirin" fix for anything. Sometimes in one-off situations it is the solution, but most often it works as well as aspirin cures cancer. My personal opinion is that the crashes are due to poor iOS 7 Safari coding. It's the only app that consistently crashes on my Air and rMini,My previous gen 1 mini crashes as well.

I have switched over to Mercury browser and no crashes ever even with multiple tabs.

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Agree.
    Clean install is a fix in just a single case: a bad app in the backup (or a corrupted backup).
    In any other case is just useless and a waste of time. This is not Windows Xp ... :rolleyes:

13. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

I've got mercury and it crashes too, albeit less often than safari. In addition, if I turn on low memory warnings in mercury, then they are almost constant. Seems like they happen most often when opening multiple tabs, then even if I close all tabs but one, it still throws warnings all the time. Nothing but a forced quit makes it any better (but even that is temporary).

14. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

I regularly manage this issue in the same fashion you've outlined, with two exceptions: 1) I still use Safari and 2) I regularly delete Safari history. Still crashes on me as well! I'm really tied of this issue, seriously, starting to wonder if I should have purchased a Nexus 10.

15. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Since the issue is caused by Safari, if you still use it you are going to experience some crashes.
    Tbh I didn't have so many crashes in Safari, since I'm not using more than 2-3 tabs, but surely my experience with Mercury is much better.

Nexus 10 ? No thanks ....

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It is a good browser choice but hardly gets mentioned here. Safari doesn't crash on me but I still atomic a lot because it's a nice browser!

17. calvol macrumors 6502a

I returned my Air for this reason, and waiting on the Nexus 10.2, hopefully announced this week at CES.

18. j.benj macrumors member

I am an Air owner that doesn't have Safari crashing issues and never did a wipe/restore from iTunes. bought on launch day and restored from iCloud during setup. only time my Air ever re-springs is when I'm using the Feedly app.

I do have frequent Safari tab reloads though.

19. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I have a new iPad Mini Retina and mine is constantly crashing :mad: I probably have about 12 applications at most on there. The crash usually takes place when Safari is open with a few tabs open.

My guess is that either I got a unit with bad ram in my device or this new IOS causes crashes often. Would have been nice if Apple was not so stingy with their RAM and had given us more RAM

20. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I have an iPad Air purchased week after launch. Currently have 8 tabs open in Safari and have never had a crash while using it. However, have had random crashes when playing the Simpsons: Tapped out. I just keep background apps cleared out, that seems to help.

21. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Safari doesn't crash on me also ... But tab reloads could be a problem if you use more than 2-3 tabs.

22. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I'm another not experiencing any real 'crashing' issues. I don't often use more than 3 or 4 tabs at most. I prefer iCab and Chrome to Safari...but a couple of screen grabs here, one using three browsers, three tabs in each, the other with active games, iPhoto, Spotify (playing music) and iTunes downloading music

I've got an LTE Air and Mini....the results are almost identical

J

Attached Files:

23. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

And keep in mind the way iOS manages 'active' memory....it's able to be switched for use in other apps while multitasking, etc.
    I was reading another thread that a fella was absolutely INSISTING there is only 100MB of RAM available on a cold boot. This is gibberish.
    I'm actually VERY impressed with the speed of the Air, form factor, updating of apps consistently....and my experience, with my workflow has been absolutely the exact opposite of those with such 'crashing' issues. While I don't prefer Safari, we all know it's the default browser when using anything else third party, so I'm often 'using' it---just not as my main choice.

ANYway...as always, ymmv, but IMO, there are some actual, BAD devices on the street. The incremental .0x releases for me, have stabilized iOS7 tremendously, both on my iPads and iPhones (speaking about family and business---I also use a 5s)

J

24. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Right. If it was it'd be rock solid ;)

Out of memory crashes on my Win2k machine today? 0.

25. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't know who is the guy you are speaking of, but on a cold boot you have about 520-530 Mb of RAM available ...