iPad Air/MacBook Air vs Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandwich Jumper, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Sandwich Jumper macrumors newbie

Well, I am shopping on a budget and really am torn between getting a combo duo of the iPad Air/Mac Air or the Retina. I love the iPad for consuming media, occasional games, videos, etc. It is just a great device. I also like the price point of the Air, despite being able to plunk down 1000+ on a PC laptop and getting a much better system. But being a PC user for so many years, I just dislike the amount of errors I ran into with windows. PC laptops for myself seem to have much shorter shelf lives (in my experience).

If I went with the Retina, I'd get the 15" just because having a smaller screen doesn't really make much sense if you are paying a premium.

What should I do? What have you guys done? I mean, if I did get the retina, I'd probably wait until Christmas to get an iPad.

I've never owned an iPad, but most of the people that I know that do own one, have indicated they used the iPad more than their actual computer.

I use my current computer (desktop, which I am selling on CL) for pretty much average needs. I do some work on photoshop and Avid for fun (family videos, recut trailers, etc).

I have been to the store a few times and really like the Retina screen. I know I would be fine with the Air/iPad, but also know I'd be fine with just the Retina.

Ugh. I need help!

2. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

You could also just get a display some tiny desktop like the Mini and an iPad or some other tablet.
    Doesn't appear like you are really after a notebook and a 15" seems just a waste of money unless you really want what it offers. It is expensive.

3. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

i really wouldn't drop the 13" retina pro, especially as you are considering an air, i think it would even be the most appropriate for you

the extra weight is almost ignorable, it's actually smaller in every other dimension than the thickness, and it's almost the same price (base model has dropped price about 2 or 3 times), especially when you config the air to match the specs

i went from a 13" air to a 13" pro and it basically is an air with a retina display

4. Sandwich Jumper thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Yeah, the Air/Retina are very similar in weight to me. That is a good point though. A maxed out air or close to it is similar in $$ to a Retina.

Yeah, I am leaning towards the portability of the laptops though.