iPad Air Magnet loose inside?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 30, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all.
    I have an iPad Air 1 and I use a Smart Cover with it. Lately I have noticed the iPad making a weird noise when I snap the Smart Cover to the back or front of my iPad. It seems to me like the magnet (if there is one like I'm assuming) inside my iPad has come loose, if that's possible or makes any sense. When I put the cover on the back of my iPad and move the cover around, it makes a clicking type noise as if the magnet is moving around. Any clues on what this could be?

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It probably is the magnet. I had to swap mine out when it was new for that exact problem. No idea what the long term risks are, but since it was still in the return window, I wasn't going to accept it.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hmmm. I am planning on getting an iPad Air 2 in December and selling this one so I hope it isn't a big issue that prevents me from selling it for a decent price.

4. Wachpy macrumors newbie

This happened to me as well. Eventually the magnet flipped over completely and caused the edge of the Smart Cover to hover instead of adhere to the iPad. I had to get a replacement iPad from Apple to get rid of the issue.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

I have had that since day one i bought air2.. A year ago. I havent seen any problem, other than in my head when wondered am i hearing voices...

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

So I don't think it's in warranty but will Apple give me a replacement perhaps?

7. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Also mine made a similar thing and the Smart Cover hovered... I put the device with Smart Cover face down for an entire day... Problem solved totally

8. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

So if you put the device face down on top of the SC an entire day the magnet stops moving around?

9. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I contacted Apple and they can only do an OOW replacement. Hopefully I can still sell this thing for a decent price, do you guys think it will have a significant impact on whether or not it sells?

10. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Yes my dear friend...
    You can try for what it costs ;)