Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I brought an iPad Air on launch day and it's perfect and I have about 18gb of 32gb free with what I think I need on there. My previous iPad was 16gb and I had about 2-4gb free, but I always felt I was being careful.

My question is - as this is more or less going to be my main device (I have a MBA13 if need it) should I upgrade to 64gb? Tomorrow is the last day to be able to exchange or return it. I plan to keep this iPad for 2-3 years - I can't see Apple improving it significantly before then.

The screen on my air seems perfect - crisp and colours look good, esp compared to Mini. So I'm worried if I exchange to a 64gb I'll get a less impressive screen.

I also got a mini today and almost straight away I feel it just doesn't 'feel right'. Too small. It feels like its a play station thingy even though I've never used one. It feels like trying to decide between a MacBook Air 13" & 11" - I returned the 11" as it just felt too small.... In the store I thought the mini would good enough for me... Shows that you need to take it home and try it properly to really know.

I do watch movies etc but I don't download in bulk.. one every now and then streaming mostly. What do you think 32gb or 64gb?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
No. If you have 18 of 32 free now you'll be fine. No need to spend $ on space you only think you might need as there is little resale value upside. It'll be a huge waste of $ on your part. If during the course of the year your iPad does fill up then sell or trade it in when the Air 2 comes out.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Gee, only the thousand-th thread on this same question in the past week or so.

But, I would get at least the 32, but we just bought the 128.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I opted for the 32GB over the 16GB as I'll probably want hidef movies which of course are a tad larger. I also found the 16gb to be a bit confining for my needs.

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Counting down until Apple seriously curtails its return policy. Probably the most disgusting example was people openly admitting they purchased a new grey iPhone 5s to use for a week or two until their gold iPhone 5s was delivered. Now the iPad Air and retina mini merry-go-round is in full swing.

The return abuse is out of control.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
If you've got an Air with a perfect screen, by all means don't get rid of it! 18 of 32gb free seems like plenty if you're not a big media guy.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I'm keeping it. Just decided and the responses so far have added to my decision.
Thanks. That's it for the device merry go round for atleast 2 years.

I sold my iPhone 4 (was keeping as backup) and iPad 3 16gb wifi so this Air was only £150 new money :p ill prob be buying AppleCare+ as this thing is coming with me everywhere.

As for 'return abuse'.
1. I was open to keeping both air and mini but the mini is just not for me - that's how it goes...
2. Apple make billions and have all this factored in the pricing so I wouldn't worry about that. And I, like most people on these forums, have spent 15-20k+ on apple devices over the past years and probably got another 10k in sales through recommending apple devices to friends and family... They don't need to change anything.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Counting down until Apple seriously curtails its return policy. Probably the most disgusting example was people openly admitting they purchased a new grey iPhone 5s to use for a week or two until their gold iPhone 5s was delivered. Now the iPad Air and retina mini merry-go-round is in full swing.

The return abuse is out of control.
Why does it bother you so much? People are still buying the product in the end. If it was that big an issue, they'd change it. Let others exchange as they see fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.