iPad iPad Air/Mini vs Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AT101ET, Dec 14, 2014.

1. AT101ET macrumors 6502

Title says it all. What do you recommend.
    I guess it'll be used to replace my MacBook which I don't have a real use for.
    Ideally would like to use it for emails, videos, some gaming and photo editing/graphic design.

What would you recommend?
    I'll have a laptop to go with it too for other work.

2. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Photo editing and graphic design are going to be pretty limited compared to what can be done with a proper laptop, but the iPad Air 2 is the one to get if you desire a tablet. Best one out there by a long shot. The mini is gimped by a low gamut screen and no substantial updates, and the Nvidia is an oddball in the game. I'd avoid that one. Get a Nexus 9 if you really want an Android setup.

3. AT101ET thread starter macrumors 6502

For photo editing my needs are basic. It's just the graphic design I'd like. Until now I've used illustrator on my Mac. I'm sure there's no similar programme for tablets but what's the best for the iPad?

Why is Nvidia an oddball?

Thanks for answering, just want to know all so I can weigh up the pros and cons :)

4. AT101ET thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

iDraw and Pixelmator would both work well. I was actually doing a Christmas card in Pixelmator the other day on the Mini. Loaded up some fonts with AnyFont and had a field day with it. iDraw is good for vector stuff. The layer support is very good on both.

I have a SteelSeries Stratus for the games.

Android has a few drawing programs. But if you're going with Autodesk Sketchbook, you'll get the advantage of having the various Bluetooth stylus support on iOS.

6. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Basic photo editing will be just fine on the iPad, especially the Air. The added size and 100 percent color gamut will serve you well. Avoid the Mini for the smaller size and inaccurate colors. There isn't any way to correct the washed out reds and purples on the Mini-it's a limitation of the hardware, and should certainly scare off consumers looking to do accurate photo editing.

Nothing on the iPad is going to have the power, ease of use, and versatility of a desktop program like Illustrator. Tablets just aren't geared for that type of productivity yet. Believe me, I have tried to make that work. My old PC does that much better using an aging version of CS4 than my iPad ever will.

The Nvidia has a couple things going against it. The aspect ratio of the screen is 16:10, rather than the 4:3 of the Air and Nexus 9-meaning it is tall and skinny rather than square. I find that to be far less useable for everything from photo viewing to Internet browsing. Too tall when held portrait style, and too short when held landscape style.

Also, the Nvidia has a lower resolution, so you aren't going to get the same crisp image that you'll see on the other devices. The IPads and nexus 9 are 2048x1536 vs 1920x1200 for the Nvidia.

The Nvidia tablet is targeted towards gamers, and runs a non-stock version of Android. When it comes to Android devices, I always opt for the stock OS of a Nexus device. Android is fragmented enough as an OS without adding a custom skin and bloatware that usually is on these units. That's why I say oddball.

Also, the resale value on Android tablets is low compared to Apple products. Just another thing I'm throwing out there.

Don't get me wrong, I have had a few Android phones, and currently use a Nexus 7 (which I absolutely love) as my "beater" tablet. I just think that the iPad Air is the front runner right now, by a long shot.

7. ozaz macrumors 65816

If you do photo editing and graphic design, I don't really understand why you say you don't have a need for your MacBook. I'd hate to do that kind of stuff on an iPad or Android tablet.

Why not consider Microsoft's Surface Pro 3? Then you could use Adobe Illustrator, and get rid of your Macbook and other laptop.

8. mac00l macrumors 6502

All of them have different use cases.

I was decided for a Shield Tablet, mainly because I have a Nvidia GPU to go with it. Nonetheless my local home depot put on sale all remaining inventory of last generation Ipads (Mini 2 and Air 1).Got a 128GB mini 2 for 300 dollars. You can't say no to that.

The mini is amazing for everything but videos. It utterly sucks.

Mini 2/3
    +
    Form factor
    Relatively future proof (has 64bit)
    Amazing screen for web surfing
    Good sound output
    Stellar apps
    -
    Screen really bad for videos
    Takes a lot of time to charge.
    Price (if not in discount I think is overpriced)

Air 2
    +
    Pretty all the plus of the mini, plus an amazing screen for everything.
    -
    Price

Shield Tablet

+
    Best gaming Tablet (specially if you have a GTX GPU)
    Price
    Timely updates
    Fully functional media center (doesn't require any proprietary accessories)

-
    Lollipop doesn't seem to be optimized for tablets
    Poor battery
    So-so screen

9. AT101ET thread starter macrumors 6502

By no means am I a professional graphic designer. I just started using illustrator and am learning slowly. For photo editing I'm not bad even with the simplest of tools.

This isn't meant to replace my MacBook completely but just go alongside a lower spec laptop.

For now I'm not in dire need of my MacBook so best to sell it now before it's value continues to depreciate.

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Whats wrong with Surface 2 or 3? Or you could try ChromeBook? :apple:

11. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

As much as I love the iPad mini, its sound output is on the soft side, and not as good as the iPad Air, let alone the Air 2.

12. andrewkendall macrumors member

I own all three. If I had to pick just one it would be the iPad Air. That said, the SHIELD is a really nice tablet, I'm mostly using for emulation / gaming which it is superb at. I really like Lollipop too, but the deciding factors for choosing the Air are that the SHIELD has been less stable (needed several forced restarts) and battery life is poor especially stand-by time, also for most uses I prefer the iPad screen aspect ratio. iPad mini doesn't get a look in, very poor screen compared to the Air. Hope that helps a little!