All iPads iPad Air - much improved wifi reception

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iosuser, Nov 1, 2013.

1. iosuser, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

iosuser macrumors 6502a

My bedroom upstairs is literally corner to corner from my wifi router downstairs. With all prior versions of iPads, wifi reception becomes very sporadic when I hold the iPad in landscape, sometimes the connection drops altogether. Actually even the iPhones do that (the 5s is actually worse than the 5). Looks like problem is solved with the Air.

First and second screen captures are iPad Air held in portrait and landscape. The rest are photos taken of my iPad 4 held in portrait and both ways in landscape. This is repeatable every single time. My internet connection is 100 down and 30 up.

Hmm can't attach more than one file from the iPad since somehow they get uploaded with the same name. I'll upload one now and upload the rest when I get on the computer. But iPad Air in landscape is around 50 down. iPad 4 in landscape dropped.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      104.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      120.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      123 KB
      Views:
  2. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Similar results here. Side by side on our home wifi my iPad Air doubles what my iPad 4 pulls down. Of course it varies a few Mbps +/- per test, but the stats are typically mid 70s vs mid 30s. This little thing just flat rocks!

3. Sharkey311 Suspended

Yeah I've noticed how fast the wifi has been on mine. I love it!

4. iosuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just added the speedtest of my iPad 4. It's not just the faster throughput, for me it's the issue with holding the iPad in landscape orientation which severely weakens the wifi reception. Every device has this issue including other Android tablets I had.

5. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

The biggest improvement comes from the fact the tablet's Wi-Fi antenna system supports MIMO, which allows for much smoother media streaming over Wi-Fi. I've noticed that the iOS YouTube app and the Crunchyroll app to stream anime shows now start up streaming videos a lot faster than before on my new iPad Air. :)

6. scupking macrumors 6502a

Yup big improvement for me over my mini. I had one bar in my front room. Now it's usually always full with the air!

7. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Great improvements here too. MIMO really has a big improvement.

8. Jades macrumors 6502

I've noticed the same. But not just with wifi. Also with the cellular data. In my basement for example, one bar of LTE and 5-7 Mbps vs previous gen iPads as well as my iphone 5s failover to 4G

9. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Yup. I mostly use my iPad upstairs. The router and internet connection is downstairs in the garage( I converted the garage into a office/extra room). With the iPad 3 my wifi was slow at times. Now with the air it's simply fast and better. My speeds are up and constant even upstairs. Downstairs it's even faster. YouTube and videos load up super fast. Great improvement.