Resolved iPad Air "Multitasking" performance

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BigButa, Nov 16, 2013.

1. BigButa macrumors member

I am really thinking about upgrading to an iPad Air, but would like to hear from somebody who upgraded from an iPad 3 to an Air.

One thing that bothers me about my iPad 3 is that applications will essentially need to reload when I switch away from them and switch back. I will be typing a form post, for example, in Safari, and then switch to a game. When I switch back, the forum post page will reload, and I will lose everything I typed. I guess one way around this is to copy the text of my post before I switch away, but sometimes I forget or am interrupted by my kids before I can, etc.

Does the iPad Air handle these situations any better than the iPad 3? Thanks for any feedback you may have!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. kalt macrumors regular

this is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

4. BigButa thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I hope you are right about it being a software thing. I guess I will hold off on a purchase for the time being.

5. redman042 macrumors 68020

The Air multitasks better than my iPad 3 by a long shot. It's terrific. Switching between apps is fast and nearly delay-free.

But the example you gave will likely hit the RAM bottleneck on the iPad. We are still only working with 1 GB of RAM on the Air. If you are multitasking between productivity apps, you won't see many reloads. But if you are multitasking between productivity and games, that's another story. Most higher end games consume the bulk of available RAM on their own, so every time you switch to the game, it will flush everything else out of RAM.

Not sure why you'd do a lot of switching from forum posts to games and back (without first submitting your post), but in your unique situation I don't think the Air will cut it.

For me, multitasking is a dream on this thing.

6. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

It is both. iOS doesn't use swap memory, and current iOS devices only have 1GB of ram.

7. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

More RAM solves all of this. Look at your diagnostics logs, mine is always filled with crash reports and low memory logs. In fact, there is something the matter with iOS 7 because even on my AIR i get stuttering problems all over and I experience a lot more safari crashes than my iPad 3/4.

8. Tagbert macrumors member

You might want to use an other app to write your post and then copy and post it. If you use Evernote, for instance, to do the writing it won't clear your writing as you switch between apps. Once you are done, you can copy the text and past it into your forum post.

9. redman042 macrumors 68020

That is a great idea. Textilus or iA Writer are good apps for this, and have the bonus of slick editing controls.

----------

People shouldn't pay too much attention to those logs. iOS writes aggressively to the logs and not all this is abnormal behavior.

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

It's the 1GB ram. My 5S with iOS7 crashes apps all the time and has memory shortages often.

All of those problems you had regarding memory with your devices from 2010 and onward are still present.