Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Just updated my Air an hour ago. So far I have 6 tabs opened, one on Apple.com. Tasked-switched to email and replied to one message, switched to app store and browse the top 20. Back into Safari and all 6 tabs are still there. Navigated around Apple.com to different sections, and the other 5 tabs were kept :eek:

There seems to be a minor delay (one second or so) when switching back into Safari, which is fine. I think this is finally fixed. Now of course I didn't go nuts and open big apps and games. I'm content with being able to do what I did above without losing my browser tabs.

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
This is good to hear. I'd like to hear more from someone who tests it to it's fullest limits and see what it can really do now.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Safari crashes on my Air when I try to type a URL. It crashes on the first keystroke, every time!!! I did an OTA update, and have restarted the iPad...???

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
tab reloads ALWAYS improve upon device restart.

Give it a couple days folks.

*update is only halfway downloaded, I worked late today :( *

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
tab reloads ALWAYS improve upon device restart.

Give it a couple days folks.

*update is only halfway downloaded, I worked late today :( *

Agreed, dont get your hopes up yet.....

Same thing happened with ios 7.1 update. Thought the tab reloading was fixed, a few hours later, it was back in full effect.

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
SO basically I am proven right when I said it had nothing to do with RAM and you guys all jumped on me...

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
SO basically I am proven right when I said it had nothing to do with RAM and you guys all jumped on me...

Too early to tell. Wait for a few days and I am sure the tab reloading complaints will be back. It's lack of RAM problem. iPads are generally ignored by Apple as they concentrate more on iPhones which are their main revenue stream.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Running GM since it came out and i can confirm that tab refreshing is much improved with iOS8. Very satisifed.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Safari crashes on my Air when I try to type a URL. It crashes on the first keystroke, every time!!! I did an OTA update, and have restarted the iPad...???

Yep. Same here. Safari crashes about 9 out of 10 times just by typing in a URL for me. It's extremely annoying.

champagnepapi

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
It's been much improved since 7.1.2, no crashes and less tab refreshing so far. Altough, there's hella stuttering in animations like tapping the address bar and bringing up CC on the keyboard is a total mess.

I guess Apple will fix this when they release the HealthKit patch tough.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Is there a way to turn off the scrolling thing where the address and favorites bar disappear while scrolling down? It's weird and I ain't liking it.

I never really had tab reload problems and I don't see them with this OS either.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yep. Same here. Safari crashes about 9 out of 10 times just by typing in a URL for me. It's extremely annoying.

I tried to backup, factory reset, and restore, but the problem remained after restoring from iTunes. I was fine until I restored, so I set it up as a new iPad, and life is beautiful again.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I tried to backup, factory reset, and restore, but the problem remained after restoring from iTunes. I was fine until I restored, so I set it up as a new iPad, and life is beautiful again.

I just updated and I might do a restore and set up as new this weekend. It's doing ok so far, but it's just a feeling it can be better. I don't have much on here so a set up as new shouldn't take long at all.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just updated and I might do a restore and set up as new this weekend. It's doing ok so far, but it's just a feeling it can be better. I don't have much on here so a set up as new shouldn't take long at all.

My Air was doing fine once I did a factory reset, but the restore restored the problems with Safari crashing.

The disappearing address bar was annoying until a second ago: you can simply touch the top of the screen, and it reappears. I had been swiping the screen down to get it back. My HTC One's address bar only reappears if I swipe down, and I wasn't looking forward to that on my iPad. Looks good so far.....

P.S. My tabs aren't reloading the way they were with iOS 7. I just opened a few pages up, and switching around was quick and free of reloading.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
if there's that new 1sec delay, then it looks like a page out. classical RAM-problem circumvention method.

That was my first thought too, and it might explain why it took an extra gigabyte of space, but I thought iOS doesn't do virtual memory..

Had first sign of trouble last night. Went in to toggle some location services, the settings app crashed and won't open again until I reboot. Then went into Safari. joystiq.com crashes the browser every single time, and it really crashes the iPad - I can't even open Safari and several other apps (settings being one of them) any more until I rebooted.

Scrolling around web pages seems as smooth as it's ever been. What is really choppy is scrolling around my bookmarks and repositioning the keyboard.

iOZZY

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
Stamford, England
Scrolling around web pages seems as smooth as it's ever been. What is really choppy is scrolling around my bookmarks and repositioning the keyboard.

Scrolling around the bookmarks and browsing history menus is choppy for me too. This was evident in iOS7.1.2 also.

When you tap on the share icon in Safari (the one with a box with an arrow pointing up) The airdrop logo and accompanying text draws twice which is a bit bizarre. Looks like its trying to load 2 different airdrop icons.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
I found Safari in iOS 8 to be significantly slower than it was in iOS 7. So for the moment I've switch browsers to the chrome browser. But I love most everything else about iOS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.