iPad Air on iOS 9.2.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Lorenzo F, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Lorenzo F macrumors member

If you have upgraded your original iPad Air to iOS 9.2.1, what are your experiences? Do you wish you had stayed on your previous iOS?

I have the original iPad Air running iOS 8.3 and am considering upgrading to iOS 9.2.1.

And for the future if there is one sticky somewhere, either in the MacRumors forums or elsewhere, that I can refer to for people's experiences any time a new iOS is released, please let me know! I tried searching the MacRumors forums and the Internet at large but I'm having trouble finding the info in one place.

Thanks in advance everyone!

2. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

If your Air is on iOS 8.3, you might as well update to 9.x. It is more stable at this point, especially 9.3 beta

The Air 2 was made for 9.x...

3. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

Our Air has been on the latest and it's been great, no issues.

4. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I'm wondering the same, I'd like to update my iPad Air 1 from 8.4.1 to 9.2.1 but I'm not sure if it's a good idea. Even the slightest slowdown would make me seriously upset.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

If something slight could make you seriously upset then it might not be worth it (unless you are upset with what you have now and want to try something different).

6. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It will be slower on 9.2.1, but the Air got a lot of love in 9.3, it seems much better.

7. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

9.3 is still beta, right? I'll have to wait some time after its release to see what people report, but by the time, iOS 10 will be out already I guess, haha.

I won't update it then I guess, since I'm happy with 8.4.1. I just had an issue where I couldn't open Pages anymore on 8.4.1 and it told me to update, but it may just be a bug. I would be annoyed if I couldn't use pages anymore, and if I was forced to upgrade and basically slow down my device. But that's typical Apple I guess.

8. stooovie macrumors 6502a

9.2.1 is very stuttery on Air 1, sadly. Even with disabled transparency. I'm sure it will be a bit better on 9.3.

But other than that, it's fine. If you want the features, don't be afraid to update.

9. Lorenzo F thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input everybody. Like Jardins de Vin, I think I might lay low until 9.3.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm using a 16 Gb iPad Air with iOS 9.2.1 and it's just perfect.
    I can't see many differences with my more powerful iPad Mini 4.

11. Daria macrumors regular

Daria

I haven't noticed any slow-down in 9.2.1. iBook is better, though that might be due to updates on the app itself. Just after the upgrade, there were a few wonky things, but I remember doing a couple of quits & restarts, and then the operations have usually gone smoothly.

Style-wise, in Safari, one thing I don't like is the solid black menu bar, tool bar and the tabs. It's an ugly black blob not consistent with the look of the other native Apple apps, in my opinion.

12. JemTheWire macrumors member

My iPad Air is notably slower and laggy on iOS 9.2.1

I wish I had not upgraded from iOS 8.x, I really do.

13. AddisonIII macrumors regular

When ever you update there is risk. That being said only you know how you would react if your not pleased and your iPad performed less than you expect. I have an Air 2 with 9.2.1 and lost more than an hr per charge from the previous version.

14. leon771 macrumors regular

I own a 128GB Air and an Air2 of the same capacity.

Both have been fine on all iterations of ios9, including beta 9.3b5.

I think people on this board worry too much about tiny trivial matters of animations being perceivably slower by fractions of seconds, when in reality each update makes bugger all difference.

If happy with iOS 8 then keep it.
    If something is in iOS 9 and you want it, then upgrade.