iPad iPad Air or iPad 4 with retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bingo13579, May 16, 2014.

1. bingo13579 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about getting an iPad for my dad since father's day is coming up and I'm not too sure what to do.

Basically, my dilemma is that my two choices are either the ipad air or the ipad 4th gen with retina. The ipad mini is not a contender since my father uses his ipad (1st gen) mainly for streaming shows/movies/watnot so the bigger the screen, the better!

I figured it's time for an upgrade for him since his 1st gen ipad is becoming out of date.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which model I should be looking at?

Things to take into consideration:
    I will probably be buying within a month so product life cycle (I don't want to buy something that is going to be updated within 3-6 months)
    The hardware is efficient enough to support seamless high quality video streaming
    Price is also a factor but I realize that the air is much more expensive than the 4th gen and I'm willing to fork out the extra 200$ if there is enough compelling reasons :D

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for the comments and the help!

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

If your Dad doesn't care about a lighter iPad I would go with the iPad 4 because it looks similar to his iPad and the weight is about the same. Plus you save $100.

3. MyiBill macrumors 6502

The air is only $100 more expensive (unless your seeing it on sale somewhere which is very much possible). As for "outdated" the air will most likely be updated within your 6 month timeline probably in October. As for the 4th gen it won't be updated it will either stay as is in the current price point, or dropped in favor of the iPad Air taking it's price slot and the updated air at $500

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you don't want to buy something that will be updated within the next few months, why are you even considering the 4, which has already been updated by the Air? :confused:

Since your dad has kept his iPad 1 so long, it is likely that he will keep his next iPad for just as long. In that case, go with the latest model, that is, the Air. It will stay up to date longer.

5. bingo13579 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess to elaborate,

Are the differences in both machines enough to justify the price difference in the case where it will only be used to steam videos mainly?

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Put it this way. The Air is likely to receive software updates for a year longer than the 4. To me, that is worth the $100 price difference, considering your dad is likely to keep it for a long time. In terms of straight performance difference, no, I don't notice any difference between 3 and the Air, so I imagine there is even less difference between the 4 and the Air. Also, the Air is considerably lighter than the 3/4, so if your dad holds the iPad in his hands/lap, it might make a difference in terms of ease of use.

7. saberahul macrumors 68040

To add to this, the Air just feels so much better in the hand than the 4. The display and all looks the same (without the bezel on the Air); but, the overall feel is so much better. For me, it's worth spending $100 more (or 80 or so depending where you get it from) for the Air.

8. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

The Air is worth the extra 100 dollars and future-proofing. Even just the comfort of holding is much lighter than the 4.

9. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Get a refurb Air. It will be the same price, and a much better piece of hardware.

10. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

As fond as I am of my iPad 4, I must say the lightness of the Air will make it a lot more ergonomically friendly for your father. Go for the Air.

As for software updates, I'm pretty sure the iPad 4 will last as long as the Air in that front, reason being the RAM, in the long term I see the Airs 1GB mixed with 64bit CPU actually dragging it down.

11. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

If he was the type to sell it for upgrade money, I'd say for sure get the 4. I should have done that but was lured by the weight difference of all things to buy the Air. But since he will be using and keeping it for a while it sounds like, the weight difference alone makes the Air the one to get.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

If he's kept the original iPad this long then I'd wait until iPad Air2 to see if they up the RAM and other specs in your machine....this fathers day go for an outing with your father if you live close enough to him (just a suggestion).

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought about suggesting this, but that would likely push the iPad into becoming a Christmas gift. Not that Christmas gifts can't be special, but there's a great deal of gifts being exchanged at that time. Giving it to dad for Father's Day means you get to concentrate on just him. Especially if he needs help with setting up the new iPad, you'd be able to spend more time on that than if you are trying to get a thousand other things done at Christmas.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Assuming your dad is of the older generation, go with the air. The lightness is noticeably better than the 4, which will help when he uses it for a while.