Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
I can't decide between both. Looks like they are basically the same other than the air is slightly smaller.
Mainly going to use it for playing games and surfing web but also for wife's school books.

I can get a 32g 4 refurb for $379 or a new air 16g for $400.

How are iPads for heavy display action like MMO games with lots of stuff going on at the same time? Do they get doggy and laggy at all?
Thanks all

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Why don't you wait till next month for the announcement of the iPad's to see what they offer? If your decision is iPad 4 vs the Air. It's no contest as the Air has better specs, less weight and size. The only feature worth noting on the iPad 4 is that the glass is thicker so there's no hollow sound when tapping the screen which is what happens with the Air.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
iPad Air now is $400. If a new ipad is released before Xmas it
Will be at least $520-540. It can't be that much better than current version.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
You'd be foolish to buy old tech this late in the game.

The 4 is a fantastic iPad, the Air is probably skippable, the Air 2 is going to remedy the RAM problem of the Air. The Air 2 is going to be the one you want.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If you were just using it for light browsing and email, then it would be OK to go for a cheap iPad 4. But you mentioned games, some of which trend to ride on the leading edge of the latest CPU+GPU performance. So buying hardware that will be one or two generations behind (in about a month) may not serve your requirements best over the next two years or so.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Does anyone have experience with the higher graphic games and how they work on the devices? They play just fine on my 5c but the screen is way to small to play on.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
i haven't had any issues with my iPad4. Runs everything i've thrown at it just fine..

but yeah.. for a ~$100 difference, id wait for the latest tech. Ipad4 is powerful but it won't be for long. Again, this depends on your usage. When the iPad air 2 is released, iPad air might even hit that $400 mark too.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
You'd be foolish to buy old tech this late in the game.

The 4 is a fantastic iPad, the Air is probably skippable, the Air 2 is going to remedy the RAM problem of the Air. The Air 2 is going to be the one you want.

What makes you so sure they wont use the same A8 chip from the iPhones? I think there is a big chance Air 2 will come with 1GB of RAM.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
My original budget was $300 for a used one. $500+ is just was over that. I still need $$$ for a MacBook Air

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
No issues with my air since I got it a year ago. Web mostly, mail, and use it lots to send video to the ATV. I use my desktop an hour a month. I want a 13" IPad Air.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
I want an ipad 13" as well. Maybe I might hold off now. Guess it's going to be like $700 for 2 iphone 6

chupachup

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2013
I can't decide between both. Looks like they are basically the same other than the air is slightly smaller.
Mainly going to use it for playing games and surfing web but also for wife's school books.

I can get a 32g 4 refurb for $379 or a new air 16g for $400.

How are iPads for heavy display action like MMO games with lots of stuff going on at the same time? Do they get doggy and laggy at all?
Thanks all

Get the iPad 4. The more storage the better.

Leave it alone. Leave it as it comes out of the box. Don't start tinkering with it and updating it.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
As always with these decisions it comes down to usage and cost. If you can find a truly good deal on a 4th gen ipad then they are still fairly current. The Air is a better all around tablet though and will be supported a little longer too since it's newer. If the cost difference is trivial then the Air is the correct purchase, IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.