iPad iPad Air or iPad Air 2

Le Hamilton

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2014
There's the iPad Air for 399$, and a iPad Air 2 for 499$. Are there many significant improvements at the iPad Air 2, or should buy the iPad Air for 399$?

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
Get the 2, it will run iOS 8 and future releases much much smoother. The improvements are worth at least $100, IMO.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
For a $100 more, iPad Air 2. The anti-glare display alone could sway you away from iPad Air 1. Then there's faster wifi and touch ID. Gold color option as well.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2009
So the Air 2 will have much more longevity but the Air doesn't run smoothly after a year.

What?
Correct. The Air has the same 1 GB of RAM that's been present for many generations, and it's the only 9.7 inch iPad with a retina screen and no "X" version GPU.

This version, with same number of pixels to push but a hexacore GPU (with likely the wider memory bandwidth of other "X" series processors) and more RAM (which has obviously become the biggest bottleneck of the system) will last way longer.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For a $100 more, iPad Air 2. The anti-glare display alone could sway you away from iPad Air 1. Then there's faster wifi and touch ID. Gold color option as well.
Agreed. If you don't already have an iPad, the extra $100 is worth it to get the features you listed.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Correct. The Air has the same 1 GB of RAM that's been present for many generations, and it's the only 9.7 inch iPad with a retina screen and no "X" version GPU.

This version, with same number of pixels to push but a hexacore GPU (with likely the wider memory bandwidth of other "X" series processors) and more RAM (which has obviously become the biggest bottleneck of the system) will last way longer.

More RAM isn't yet confirmed. I agree that this version has better specs but so did every other version before it. Every iDevice is hyped as being incredible but I wouldn't say any of them run the next version of ios perfectly.

The Air 2 has incredible specs and will be a formidable tablet for this generation but don't try to tell me it's longevity will be any better than previous generations because it won't.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore
It has the A8X chip and 2GB RAM

Which has 1 billion more transistors than the A8

And 2 billion more than the A7

It's going to last you quite a while

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

2GB RAM isn't yet confirmed.

Show me an iDevice that actually ran the next version of iOS well.

Usually iOS x.0 runs like crap for old generation devices and starts to smooth out a bit by x.2 or whatever.

EldonChew

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2011
Singapore

Usually iOS x.0 runs like crap for old generation devices and starts to smooth out a bit by x.2 or whatever.
Pretty much confirmed.

MacRumours said:
A 1GB Elpida chip would have an "8" in the second character slot, while a 2GB chip would have an "A" in the same spot. Because of the quality of the image, it is difficult to say for certain what the character is, but it does appear to be an "A" rather than an "8" given that it is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom.

Just beside the A8X

Then don't upgrade your devices when iOS 9 comes out and wait for 9.2 or 9.1.

Paddle1

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2013

iPhone 4S ran iOS 6 perfectly. Same for iPad 2 and iOS 5.

It's funny how the chart actually goes down on the iPad 3. :eek: The iPad 2 really is better in some areas.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The iPad Air 2 which has the A8X.

Pictures of the RAM component which shows 2GB of RAM.
Doesn't mean it will be the only device that will have the A8X.

My point is that you can't possibly tell what that is in the picture.

It's funny how the chart actually goes down on the iPad 3. :eek: The iPad 2 really is better in some areas.
Fair point - my iPad 2 did run iOS 5 perfectly now that I think about it, but it was already running iOS 5 when I bought it. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Installing as new does seem to make a big difference.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.

iPad 3 was really the worst update to iPads they could've done. Feel bad for the folks who picked one up (not their fault).