iPad Air or iPad Mini for Christmas present?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MarkX, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MarkX, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

MarkX macrumors member

MarkX

My son hinted earlier this year that he'd like an Ipad so I'm thinking I'll get him one for Christmas.

I can't decide what size would be best. He would mainly be playing games and watching YouTube. He's 13.

What would you suggest?

Edit: I'm sorted now so no more suggestions needed. Thanks.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The bigger screen would be more immersive, but for portability, I'd say the mini. Most game controls would be easier to manipulate on the mini, I believe.

3. Bricks44 macrumors newbie

Bricks44

iPad Air2. Nice size screen powerful and very light weight.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I favour the Mini form factor. it's just so convenient.

5. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

I used a mini for 2 years and recently switched the the Air 2. I couldn't be more happy, the text is just so my easier to read because of the size. The mini downsizes the text, so I don't know how much reading the person you are given the gift too, but from my experience I recommend the Air 2 over he mini hands down! The Air 2 is still small enough to be very portable. He can really grow into the Air 2 as well as it would afford a better overall experience due to the larger screen.

6. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Mini has a better ppi resolution, portable and better handheld.

Btw I hope ur referring to mini 4.

7. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Too bad that better ppi doesn't equal easier to read because of the reduced text size. No doubt the mini over all is more portable, but the sacrifice on the display text size is too much difference.

8. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

If the screen size and readability of the mini is an issue then you have a bigger problem to worry about.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A 13 year old kid is likely to have baetter eyesight than adults, so smaller text shouldn't be a problem. Unless, of course, he already needs glasses.

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Exactly... All these people complaining about the screen size... Are they blind? Get glasses... Or better yet get the pro.

11. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

No actually I don't have anything to worry about I have an iPad Air 2 and YES this has been an issue for many people. Not everyone is the same and people do have glasses or contact and the text size is still an issue. If you disagree that is fine, but unless you have my eyes or the many others then you can't speak for us. Oh and I had a Pro, just too big to lug around.

Valid point and of course still worth considering when making a decision.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Hey buddy go enjoy ur air 2. I personally hate the bloated apps. It looks so cheesy and waste of real estate. My mini 4 has exactly same rows and columns as much as the air 2. Waste of space. Mini 4 > Air 2.

13. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't matter to you the difference in price, then ask your son. I get the whole surprise thing...but wouldn't you rather he open the one he wants on Christmas?

14. OTACORB, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015

OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Hey Buddy, that is your opinion and everyone has a right to share. All I did was express a valid opinion about text size that the person may want to consider. It may not apply to you as clearly this doesn't apply to everyone. However, there are enough repeat post about this that clearly it does impact some for sure.

This actually makes the most sense and removes any doubt, though of course removes the element of surprise. Might could ask without giving it away totally. hehehe

15. CaptMarvel macrumors 6502a

CaptMarvel

If I may ask, is he on the naughty or nice list?

Naughty ---> Mini 2, Mini 3
    Nice ---> Mini 4, Air 2

*All recommendations are made for a 16GB device.

16. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I think that the mini is a more ideal form factor, especially for games.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hey, no need to get nasty. I have bad eyesight that isn't totally correctable with glasses, so text size happens to be a concern for me. For a 13-year old kid, it's unlikely to be an issue, but it certainly doesn't mean that the mini is better than the Air for everyone.

18. MarkX thread starter macrumors member

MarkX

I took your advice - 64gb Air 2 ordered.

Thanks.

19. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Very cool gift!

20. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Very smart move! I know he will love it and you are a great dad! :) Merry Christmas to you and the family.

21. MarkX thread starter macrumors member

MarkX

Thank you, same to you.

22. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Excellent choice! I myself chose the iPad Air 2 64GB over the iPad Mini 4. Your son will love it!

23. kapp2 macrumors 6502

kapp2

Wow thats very kind :) also a Air 2 owner here, your son will like it :) Merry Christmas :)

24. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

13? Go for the iPad Air. The mini seems great at first glance because it's so small and you can take it everywhere, but when you want to really sit down and do things with it, the small screen feels...well..small. My daughter is 11 and she loves the hell out of her iPad Air. Now she's actually jealous of my iPad pro and hinting that she wants one! "Maybe next year when you get a new new iPad pro, you can give me your old one". Haaaaaaa. Keep dreaming kid!

25. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I was going to tell you, for a teenaged boy, always order the bigger size.