All iPads iPad Air or iPad Mini on the bus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keatth, Dec 14, 2013.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

I live in LA and take the bus, I'm confused on which iPad to get. Do you use your iPad on the bus, if so, which model and what are your thoughts about using it on the bus? Thank you.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the mini because it offers better usage with one hand. If you wish to surf, or access stuff on the net then you ought to get the LTE variant.

3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, both are going to be just fine. It all comes down to what you prefer. What's more important is thinking about how you will use the iPad, and which size would benefit you more.

4. maxsquared macrumors regular

5. JGWolven macrumors regular

You'll be called a coocoo head if you bring your Air onto the bus!

Kidding...

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd say mini if you were just using it on the bus.

But I think the bigger size of the Air provides bigger advantages in most other situations, so the Air always wins for me even if it is a wee bit bigger than the mini.

7. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

I would advise against using iPad on public transportation. I was using my iPad on the subway (redline) - when I exited (Sunset / Vermont) a thief grabbed the bag containing my iPad and iPhone!!!

8. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

No kidding, I felt exactly like a coocoo head using my iPad 1 on NYC subway and buses. You get on the train or bus, it's half empty, all good - you pull your iPad out of the bag and do your thing, and on the next stop the train is packed like a can of sardines, and then it becomes very interesting. People are staring at what you're doing, lean over, push without any respect that you're holding a $1K device, and you can't even reach to your bag to stove it away. Especially awkward if you're standing and holding on to the rail.

Mini? Much much less coocooheady, you can hold it like a large phone, and if it's no longer comfortable to use it, just slip it in jacket or cargo pant pocket.

----------

Mini doesn't require a bag, much harder target for thieves.

9. mhdena macrumors 6502

As you won't have it long, gets the one that cost less.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Only if you are wearing clothes with pockets big enough for the mini. Not everyone has clothes like that. Also, things in pockets are a target for pickpockets.

11. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I think either has an equal chance of getting you mugged. ;)

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    This thread was derailed by talk of clothes, lets get back on track.

13. jbud72 macrumors member

Lol at these mods. Why don't you do something about the two trolls/troglodytes who infiltrate every Air or Mini thread rather than deleting posts.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

While that sucks, had you been paying attention to your surroundings I doubt someone would have just snatched it. There was/is a rash of thefts of people suing white earbuds. Sometimes it seems like you can't enjoy the things you own. As far as the size, depends on how crowded your bus is. If its usually empty both sizes will work, however, if its usually busy the Mini will be better.

15. doboy macrumors 68000

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

On the bus in LA, I rarely use my iPad 2 but I always use it on the Metro Rail. :apple:

17. 5nagol macrumors newbie

Have used an Ipad, Ipad3, and Ipad Air on Seattle metro since 2010. It is whichever size feels best to you

18. lk400 macrumors 6502a

So happy I dont need to worry about these things!

19. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Sorry to hear that. :apple:

20. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

not sure if rubbing it in orrr

21. ant69 macrumors regular

ant69

An iPad (any size) on the bus... In LA?? Only if you don't want to keep it for long. I've read too many instances of people getting their iPhones/iPads snatched off the bus and people running off with it. I leave my iOS devices in my bag/pockets on the train. Not worth the risk!!

Ant

22. lk400 macrumors 6502a

Sorry.

23. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

On the Bus, I would go for a mini. Lighter, more conformable to use one handed, easier, the Air would be too big.

24. masterpace macrumors regular

I believe an iPad Air is too bulky on the bus. I would carry a Mini. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not too worried about the "snatch" or pick pocket issue on the bus. People who know me know that the guy would end up crippled in a hospital if he ever attempted to rob my iPad. All in all, for convenience, I vote for the Mini!

25. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The mini. It's the perfect size. I've got insurance on my mini but still worry about it getting stolen.