All iPads iPad Air or iPad mini retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yannoulecomte, Oct 27, 2013.

?

Which iPad will you buy?

1. iPad 2

2.0%
  2. iPad Air

58.8%
  3. iPad mini with Retina display

39.2%
  1. yannoulecomte macrumors newbie

Just last year, I've wanted an iPad mini, but looking at the iPad 4, I did not want to sacrifice power and a big screen for design and portability. I just saw it coming that iPad would look like a mini. So I waited a year for the new iPads. I plan on using one for travelling, school work, internet. I really want to make it THE device I will reach for everytime. But I'm undecided between which iPads, because with the mini, for a hundred less, you get better screen and a lot of portability. And last year my main argument for an iPad 4 was the screen. Well now it's the opposite I guess, it's iPad mini with a better one. Back in 2011 with my iPad 2 I havent' had any portability problem so I guess it all comes to display: or you get the bigger with fewer ppi, or the smaller with more ppi. So here's my question: is there so much of a difference between a 9.7 inch display with 264 ppi and a 7.9 inch display with 326 ppi?

2. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you're really concerned over ppi with two "retina" screens you're really picking nits. I don't think ppi should be the reason you buy a mini over the air, it should just come down to the screen size you want.

3. TheDLade macrumors member

4. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I will admit, I have been pretty torn too, but I'm also willing to wait. I don't NEED an iPad on Friday, Nov. 1. I think I'm going to wait until I've had both in hand and determine which I want to use for extended periods of time.

Initially the cost savings of the iPad Mini were drawing me that direction, but having a Nexus 7 has kind of led me to think I want a full screen tablet to complement it instead of a Mini.

5. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Keep in mind the the iPad mini is an inch larger than the Nexus 7. It may not sound much but that extra inch coupled with the aspect ratio can make a huge difference!

6. yannoulecomte thread starter macrumors newbie

there's something about your opinion that just makes everything so simple :eek:

definitely choosing the Air!!! ;)

7. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I get your point. I've owned a 1st gen Mini and would say it is more "breathable" when compared to using a Nexus 7. To me, the Nexus 7 is a different kind of device to an iPad. It allows me to tinker in the android realm and do a bunch of custom things that I can't do with an iPad within Apple's walled-in garden.

I gave up on the Mini knowing I was going to get a retina iPad this fall (be it Mini or iPad 5...ahem, Air). I'm looking forward to seeing a retina Mini in person, but a full sized iPad Air that is now much lighter with the mini-style bezels is intriguing to me.