iPad iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tetsy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Tetsy, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2014

Tetsy macrumors member

Which would you buy ? :) , Its not about the price, I just want a good iPad which i can use around the house and when i am out and about.
    Thanx :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

How big a bag are you willing to carry? Get the one that fits in that bag.

3. cgc macrumors 6502a

I got a Retina iPad Mini the day it was announced and love it's size. Easy to tote around thought the Air's not that much bigger. Either will serve you well...if ultimate mobility is a concern then go for the Mini.

4. Tetsy thread starter macrumors member

They will both fit in my bag , i guess its just a matter of choice.

5. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I prefered mostly iPad mini. However when I tried Air, I won't go back to mini. Air is amazing, perfect size. Go for Air

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I prefer Air over mini for its size. I use my air for travel. Mostly watching movies on it and prefer the larger screen. I also have poorer sight so the screen size helps. Mini is still fine, but for any reading I have to enlarge the type.

My son has the mini and is fine with that. His sight is perfect and he mostly watches videos and does texting. I guess it really comes down to what you intend to use it for.

For text, emails and reading the mini might do the job. For movies, picture editing and such the air might be better.

7. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

What are you going to do with it primarily? I like to play games and watch movies on the iPad Air because it has a bigger screen, but I much prefer to read on my iPad mini.

Also prefer writing on my mini with an attached keyboard because it's somewhat more portable.

8. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have both the use both daily. But when I pick up the mini, every time, I marvel at its size and weight and thinness and it's abilities. If I could have only one it would be the mini.

9. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

iPad Air with Seagate GoFlex Satellite WiFi HD mobile for watching movies on the go I love big screen! :apple:

10. Cozmosis macrumors member

Cozmosis

Mini has the better portability, portrait typing experience, and e-reader experience. It is a very good browsing and otherwise general use device.

The air is a better browser just based on screen size alone. It is also really the only choice, IMO for PDF or textbook reading if that is a big deal. The mini is leaps and bounds above other 16:9 small tablets for PDFs but the screen size is just inferior for something where you can't reflow text. So much pinch and zoom.

11. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Get the Air, the mini's colours are washed out and Air is bit faster too. I have both but are selling the mini. My parents in their 70's just went from a mini to a Air as well, even they could see and feel the difference and they are not tech minded at all.

12. cababah macrumors 68000

The color difference is not noticeable unless compared side by side to an Air (same with the slightly lower cpu speed in the retina mini)

The valid points of comparison are:

1. Screen real estate
    2. Portability

13. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

It's largely a matter of personal preference. No one can tell you which will be best for you. I personally use and adore the retina mini, but that doesn't mean it will be right for you. See if you can get your hands on an air and a mini (a friend's or a demo unit at a store) and play with them for a while. You may find one of them calling out to you.

Some factors that might make a difference:

Do you typically wear a suit jacket or carry a purse?
    The mini slips comfortably into a typical suit jacket pocket, so if you wear one or carry a purse, it can be incredibly portable.

Do you want a compact device that's unobtrusive in a crowded line or public place and that you can take everywhere?
    For me the mini is the perfect form factor. I can take it out and hold it one hand in a shopping mall with a bag in the other to use the GPS, or hold it with one hand and copy problems out of it onto the chalkboard with another in a classroom. That said, if you want a device primarily for at home use, the Air might be better.

Do you want to use the device to watch movies? To read comics? To read sheet music?
    In my opinion, visual media look better on a larger screen, and the improved color range on the air may make a difference (not everyone notices it). I've heard several people say the small screen of the mini is too cramped for sheet music.

Do you want to use the device to read pdf/textbooks?
    The mini is great for kindle books and the like, as they re-paginate the screen as needed and you can choose whatever font size you like. Pdf files and textbooks may not be so flexible, meaning the screen may be a bit small for these. That said, my primary use for the mini is reading pdf documents, and while it's a bit small, the portability of the device is more than worth it to me. But then I do have good close up vision.

14. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Go to the Apple Store (or your nearest retailer that carries them) and try them both for yourself and decide. That's the best way you yourself can choose.

15. Tetsy thread starter macrumors member

Thanx guys for all your opinions :) , very helpful.

16. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I got an rMini on it's way at some point this month. I went for that because I prefer smaller tablets, I like my games and find handling the smaller tablets is much better for this, also like the idea of easily taking my tablet around with me in a pocket.
    I also watch You Tube videos, sometimes Netflix, do email and web browsing on my tablets. I am hoping to use my MacBook Pro even less with my new iPad.
    I'll be putting the excellent Noreve case on my Christmas list for it, have a cheapy one to use till then.

----------

I would have to say, you're very hard pushed to notice any speed difference, the actual clock speed differences are tiny. The only times I have seen the difference is in comparison videos running benchmark tests on the two iPads. In real world use I doubt you will ever see any difference.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I went with rMini as I think that better suites my needs. I'd check both out and see which one you prefer. I don't think you can go wrong either way.