iPad iPad Air or iPad Mini with Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Toucanet, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Toucanet macrumors member

Hi everybody.
    I am really uncertain whether to buy the iPad Air or the Mini.

The Air has a bigger screen, but the Mini features an higher dpi display, and it's smaller and lighter.

I use my iPad mostly at home, especially on the couch or on the bed. I mostly surf the Web, use Twitter and Facebook, play games, and rarely I use productivity applications.

The price and the availability date are not concerns for me.

Thank you!

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you use it at home mostly, go for the bigger screen. The selling point of the mini is portability. It appears that is not much of a point for you.

.76 vs 1 pound may also play into holding it for long periods of time, but if portability is not a concern, I'd say go for the bigger screen.

3. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

If you like using your devices one handed, the Mini is the one to get, no question. The weight is still a pretty big difference maker even with the iPad going down to 1 pound.

However if you're totally fine with your current full-sized iPad I see no reason why you would need to downgrade with a smaller screen. However, if you lie down and read on your iPad a lot you definitely need to consider the Mini, the weight and portability makes a huge difference.

Basically, if you want a bigger screen you need to get the Air, otherwise, I would always suggest a Mini.

4. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

And for playing games which is the best size?

5. Macalway macrumors 68020

6. Toucanet thread starter macrumors member

I have decided for the Air.
    Which color do you prefer? Space Grey or Silver? And which Smart Case color to combine with it?

7. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i plan on getting Mini 2 for it's size and portability. i heard supply for the Mini 2 will be limited due to supply constraits (as usual). so i may end up waiting until probably next year. anyway i have my mini 1 to use until the 2 comes out.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

go with silver white with product red smart cover! best combo.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Black. With a black leather cover and/or a Saddleback leather pouch. Nothing like dead cow skin to make a silver/black gadget be even cooler. :cool:

10. Macalway macrumors 68020

I've thought about the color thing, and there's so much white as it is with iOS, I'm not sure I want to add to it :D

11. macduke Suspended

macduke

Some of the smart covers look better with the white, but I'm thinking about black and red or black and green. I wish there was more of a yellow-green option, such as my Belkin iPhone 5 case which looks awesome:

[​IMG]

As for Mini Retina or Air, I'm leaning towards Mini unless the Air ends up having better specs after all. My wife is getting the base model Mini Retina to keep in her purse. I like that the Mini is smaller. My work is on a large university campus, so I do a lot of walking about for meetings.

The biggest downside for me when it comes to the mini is the on-screen keyboard and screen size for drawing. I liked making sketches on my iPad 2 and was hoping to pick up a new pressure-sensitive stylus to use with my new one. Does anyone use the iPad Mini for drawing and can compare it to the full sized model? What about typing with the on screen keyboard in portrait? My notes usually aren't extensive, and I've gotten pretty good at tapping out quick sentences. I'm wondering about keyboard cases for the Mini. Are they too small to type on? My hands are a little bit bigger than average but fairly thin—people tell me I have good piano fingers to give you a reference. I've never really used a Mini much aside from playing with one at the store. Perhaps I should go make a visit to the Best Buy because pretty much everyone I know has full-sized iPads.

12. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but if you play games, I would think the sharper screen and smaller screen would be easier for controlling touch games? You don't have to move your hands around as much.

13. RJCP macrumors 6502

I originally considered the Mini Retina but then reading about the supply constrains and the difficulties the screen manufacturers are having with the new screen, I decided to go with the Air.

The first batches of the mini 2 will very likely have tons of screen related problems and it will probably take them a good couple of months to optimise the manufacturing process. First batches will be hurried and the way QC has slipped lately I really don't want to risk having to go back and forth and possibly also having to wait for a replacement.

The iPad air screen technology is much more mature right now and I'd rather fork out the rest :)

14. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I prefer the mini because of the portability. I have an iPhone 5s and Macbook Air 11 and now the iPad Mini fits right in the middle.

Also, keep in mind that the mini and air have the same screen resolution, so if you have bad eyesight, you might want the air.;)

15. gman901 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you! I have the same setup and I don't see how the 2 inches is worth me spending an extra $100 which is the only difference between the two. I don't see how the regular iPad is a premium device any longer.

16. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I agree with the above posters re Air vs Mini. I wouldn't worry about ppi too much --you're unlikely to notice a whole lot of difference at normal viewing distances-- but decide instead based on weight and screen size.

But when it comes to color options, or Smart Case color preferences, all we can do is tell you what we like; that's just too subjective…..'fraid you're on your own with that one, lol

17. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

It's a tough choice, but for me the larger screen wins. I use my iPad for EVERYTHING; movies, tv, photos, iMovie, reading, desktop websites, etc. The larger screen makes it much easier to do these things.

Lighter is always nice, but both the Air and mini are large enough that if I'm going to be taking my iPad, it's going to be in a bag made for an iPad, so I might as well have a larger screen. My iphone is in my front pocket and with me all the time.

18. Aetherhole macrumors member

It's really hard to give our suggestions on what you should buy. The best thing you can do is go into a store and try both of them out. Regardless, here are my $0.02 FWIW:

I have owned each iPad iteration, but skipped on the Mini because of the screen resolution and processor. I loved the form factor and I loved the size. I really didn't feel like I needed a full-size tablet again and originally anticipated getting the rMini after announcement. Then I went in store and experienced the iPad Air. Because of all the changes they did to it, I just went ahead and bought it. It just felt better than all the previous iPad revisions I had owned. It addressed pretty much every issue that I had with gens 2-4 -- weight, size, pointy edges, and mono speaker.

As you have said you do mostly web browsing, twitter and Facebook, all of which I find more convenient on a bigger screen. Gaming is a wash because there are good points and bad points on both. Screen real estate being covered by fingers and thumbs makes it harder to play on a smaller screen, plus it is harder to see on a smaller screen. Size and weight of a larger tablet will make longer gaming sessions a bit more difficult to endure through, though.

Again, the best way to know is just to go to the store and try them out.

19. darknyt macrumors 6502a

This ^^^

I was CONVINCED I was buying retina Mini. Then I actually went in and compared the new Air. Amazing how thin and light they got it. Even though mine will be mostly used on public transport, I have a really hard time not getting the Air. PDFs, movies, web pages - all are just much better on a bigger screen.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I agree with this owning both. However they both suck compared to hardware controls. Which the iPhone cases will soon offer. I can't see an ipad air case with joysticks that would be comfortable. Maybe they'll surprise me.

It's a shame the vita is basically a flop.

21. Aetherhole macrumors member

It is too bad the Vita was a flop. I loved playing it when I had it.

A sharper screen for playing games is definitely better, but a smaller screen is not, at least where screen real estate is concerned. Games like Kingdom Rush are simply easier to play on a larger screen. In Infinity Blade 1-3, seeing "hidden" items on a larger screen is easier. Angry Birds (any) being able to zoom out and still see and navigate is better on a bigger screen. Racing games - seeing further in the distance with a larger screen is handy, too. I do agree that moving your hands/fingers around less is better with a smaller screen, though.

22. Jeilders macrumors newbie

I went from a 3 to an Air. and I love it. Much lighter and faster. My wife had a mini but once she played with my Air for a while we headed back to the Apple store to get her and Air and she loves it. We handed the mini down to my daughter and she sold her 3 to get the retina display mini later this month.

Lots of decisions and lots of happy people.