Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I was joking at people who write Ipad or Imac or MAC or Iphone or IPhone or any of those variants where they can't seem to spell the name correctly, either from ignorance or laziness, and while I am not one of those Internet forum grammar police type of persons, I found it funny that they used rMini with the small r like in MBPr (MacBook Pro with Retina) but couldn't get iPad right. So I had some fun with it changing Air to Aero. Gotta remember too that only US Apple products are made from Aluminum, whereas overseas almost all all products are fashioned from Aluminium (al-oo-min-ee-um) and that airlines are often Aero... not Air.... :D

That is definitely euro humor then, no wonder I didnt get it :p

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
My wife has an Air. I have an rMini. We are both happy with our choices. Neither one does a lot of video however unless we are traveling in air planes. She likes to read the news in the morning with her iPad on the table and when she reads later in the day, she puts the iPad in her lap with a throw pillow. I don't read much at the table and I like to hold the iPad in my hands while reading. The extra weight is more important to me than it is to her. We both had iPad 3s, switched to the original mini and are now at our present devices. The extra portability is nice with the rMini but not sure it is overwhelming.

I don't think that you will be sorry with whichever choice you make. If money is tight, I would suggest that you get an rMini and use the extra hundred you save to buy more memory. Storage just seems to fill by magic on these devices and it is the common mistake of first time buyers to not get enough.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've been using both and I prefer the Air for pretty much everything. It's also faster, but $100 more.

Also the screens must be made by different manufacturers. The Airs screen is much more vibrant, but the rMinis screen has more accurate colors.

Edit: I compared colors on both using this chart and I much prefer the Airs. Made my decision even easier. I'm keeping the Air.

Last edited:

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
My wife has an Air. I have an rMini. We are both happy with our choices. Neither one does a lot of video however unless we are traveling in air planes. She likes to read the news in the morning with her iPad on the table and when she reads later in the day, she puts the iPad in her lap with a throw pillow. I don't read much at the table and I like to hold the iPad in my hands while reading. The extra weight is more important to me than it is to her. We both had iPad 3s, switched to the original mini and are now at our present devices. The extra portability is nice with the rMini but not sure it is overwhelming.

I don't think that you will be sorry with whichever choice you make. If money is tight, I would suggest that you get an rMini and use the extra hundred you save to buy more memory. Storage just seems to fill by magic on these devices and it is the common mistake of first time buyers to not get enough.

I've been using both and I prefer the Air for pretty much everything. It's also faster, but $100 more.

Also the screens must be made by different manufacturers. The Airs screen is much more vibrant, but the rMinis screen has more accurate colors.

I definitely plan on reading alot with it, and streaming videos as well. I would have to say in the beginning it would be used mostly on a couch, or probably mostly in bed tbh. I dont plan on taking it out with me everyday. My vision isnt perfect so it kind of concerns me that most people say with the rMini need to resize websites or even pdf files to see them better.

I had a nexus 7 and found it too small to read some of my documents so I returned it. I had a nexus 10 and while it was heavy, but ok for reading, I was annoyed that certain apps did not work on it like the Optimum tv app that seems to only work for ipads so I sold it. One of the reasons I dont own an iphone is its screen size, I'd have to try to resize everything on that. This is a reason I'm leaning towards the air because I dont want to resize most things on the rMini. Also, if the air's screen is LG I wouldnt mind it as I own an LG G2 and that screen is pretty good.

has.marvel

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
I don't understand the issue about resizing anything on the rMini. I never even resized anything on the original mini. Most I did was change from portrait to landscape mode if something was a little small. Don't expect to have to do that at all with the rMini. I have noticed that I used to have trouble reading for more than an hour or so on the original mini. No problem yesterday going for a couple of hours and my eyes are not great either. If you are going to read in bed, I think you really need to be aware of the weight issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.