iPad Air or MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pixelninja, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Pixelninja macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a MacBook Pro Retina as my home computer. I don't have room for a desktop, so I bought the MBP as a suitable replacement.

I've recently bought an iPad Air, but it developed a fault, had a few replacements, various issues. I find myself asking the question, do I keep on trying to get a perfect iPad Air, or just go a different way and get a MacBook Air 11" instead. If I did plump for the MBA, it'd be 1.7 and 8GB Ram.

FYI. The MBPr is too heavy for me to carry every day.

Chris

2. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

My $0.02 worth is that I have an iPad 2 which was basically a toy, and since picking up a Macbook Air the iPad has been sitting idle in my office. The MBA is just a better form factor for me, I can do actual work on it, and it's very easy to carry to/from work, to/from the basement, etc. :)

3. Pixelninja thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Is it the 11 or 13? And what spec do you have?

What kind of programs are you using and how's the performance? Sorry for all the questions!
    Chris

4. MiesVanDerRobot macrumors member

I'd have a hard time justifying owning two different Macbooks. I have an MBP and an iPad, and they are very complementary.

Two Macbooks, even with the weight and size difference of Air vs. MBP, would be too similar to be worth having. Too much overlap.

For me:

Macbook Pro = mobile workstation, serious music-making, serious graphics work, video editing
    iPad Air = reading, sketching/painting, gaming, mobile music-making
    Kindle Paperwhite = reading that you can shove in a back pocket like a paperback, or take on a week-long camping trip without having to charge

Which underscores the point: ultimately it is all about what you will actually use, and why.

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have an older MBP, and an iPad 2. I recently got a great deal on a 11" air and I got that as a location mac as its great for fast offloading of my RED camera footage (each card runs 128Gb so it quickly adds up).

I use the iPad less and less. It is really just the kids that use it mostly.

I would give up the iPad over the MBA any day

6. robeddie Suspended

robeddie

I'll echo the same sentiment. A MacBook Air gives you full file management, the flexibility of a 'real' os.
    Don't get me wrong, I like my iPads, but many times the limitations of the ios make me feel like I'm in a candy coated prison when using it.
    Returning to my MBA after extensive use of the ipad is a breath of fresh air ;)

7. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I agree

I would go MBA over the iPad Air any day. After 3 dud iPad Airs and my preference for full blown computers, I'd say 11" Macbook Air.