All iPads Ipad Air or Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by funkymonkeyboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. funkymonkeyboy, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

funkymonkeyboy macrumors regular

Sorry for another thread like this but I need advice. I have an ipad 3 and want to upgrade. I can't seem to decide between the ipad air and mini. I have a voucher for £20 off at Tesco and could get the air for £379.99.

There could be a wait for the mini if stocks are tight. So should I bite the bullet and buy the air which should have plenty in stock and get the discount or pay full price and hope to snap up a mini?

2. Stewart21 macrumors regular

Why not get both? Get the Air now and wait until January for good stocks of the Mini and possibly a discount?

3. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Is the cost your prime reason going for an iPad 3 to a Mini? I think since are use to a larger screen, I would recommend the Air. You play games, watch lots of video, read PDFs, etc., then the Air is better IMHO.

If portability is more an issue, then go for the Mini. Even though the Air is thinner and lighter and more portable than the 3, not as much as the Mini 2.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Well, since the opnly tangible difference is screen size....your decision can be only based on one thing: What screen size can you or will you be willing to live with? The mini is more portable but the Air is darned light so even though its dimensions are larger it isnt much heavier.

So, pardon that - You need to decide on two things

1) If the minis smaller screen real estate is acceptable versus that you gain slightly better portability.
    2) If the larger Air screen size is a must have.

The $100 buck difference is trivial to me.

5. funkymonkeyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies. Price is not a major factor,but if I can save cash then I'm all for it.. Portability is a factor but again not a major one. I guess I could get the air tomorrow and see how it suits me. If not then return it for the mini.

6. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Flip a coin. If it's heads, get the iPad Air. If it's tails, get the iPad Mini with retina. Problem solved.

7. Mjmar macrumors 65816

If they were both available right now which one would you choose? I think the delay in the mini's release date is making people think that they want an Air even though they really want a mini. One month is not that long to wait for a product that you will be using for years.

8. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I have a iPad 3, and I'm getting a Retina Mini. My full-sized iPad 3 works perfectly, and there shouldn't be anything you can do with an Air that you can't do with your 3. Some games EVENTUALLY might require the better processor to work, but even that's questionable.

However, sometimes it would be nice to have a smaller, more portable version, so it's the Mini for me. Unless you we planning to sell your 3.....then I would get the Air.

9. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Both. I noticed Apple is waiting until the 21st of Nov... I wonder if they will still honor their holiday policy.

10. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It also depends on what you were expecting and anticipating. In my case, I liked the first Mini, but it was producing too much eye strain for me at the small size, so I decided to wait for the Retina Mini, and use a full-size iPad in the mean time. In the last year though, the amount I use the iPad for magazines and other stuff that is meant for the A4 paper size, the more I think I want to stick with the 9.7" screen.

At the same time, the iPad 4 is pretty heavy for a one-handed device, so I've still been waiting for the Retina Mini. What I wasn't actually thinking of or waiting for was a 1lb full-size iPad. Now that exists, I'm on the fence myself, leaning towards the larger screen.

So for some folks, it could just be that we were so focused on waiting for a Retina Mini, that we didn't think about how a lighter full-sized iPad would weigh in.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

^^^^^^^^^^

There have been rumors for months now about the weight of the new iPad, my main concern is still portability and how comfortable to hold for gaming and reading. I am not the least bit concerned about the discussions on ram. The mini I have now runs fine and this Air beast will blow away it's resolution and processor.

12. cardfan macrumors 65816

This..

13. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I'm still struggling. Tim Cook's offhand comment ("Just buy both.") may end up being true.

14. funkymonkeyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah it's a tough call. I can't really justify getting both. I like the idea of the minis portability. But I love the larger screen of the air.

Can't apple just make a 9" screen and meet in the middle? Lol.

15. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

That's it! Apple needs to take (7.9"+9.7")/2= 8.8" screen, perfect! One model! hehe

16. susa macrumors regular

Have loved my mini for a year, my first ipad, but I'll be going for the Air because I want to write out notes with the stylus more. I can only fit a few notes per page now, and think I also need a larger keyboard. Too slow at picking out the characters. Not huge reasons. Maybe mostly I don't want to wait any longer.

17. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

If you get the Air, you will never pick up your iPad 3 again so what's the point of having both an Air and a iPad 3??

If you keep your 3, get the Mini because you will actually use both devices. If you sell (or give away) your 3, get the Air.

18. funkymonkeyboy thread starter macrumors regular

I am going to sell the 3. Still torn between the two. But will probably get the air tomorrow and see how it goes.

19. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

I like the way you think! :D ;)

20. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

same here mate, if the air blows me away i'll probably keep it :)

21. funkymonkeyboy, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

funkymonkeyboy thread starter macrumors regular

Got my iPad Air 32GB Space Grey from Tesco in north of Scotland. They had plenty of both colours in stock for 16 and 32GB.

I'm upgrading from the iPad 3 and I am very happy with the new iPad. Just restoring from iCloud backup now. It's so thin and light. The differences between the Air and 3 are unbelievable. The weight is the biggest factor.

I'll probably keep the Air. Very happy.