iPad Ipad Air or Samsung Note 10.1 2014?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pixelzombie, Oct 31, 2013.

1. pixelzombie macrumors member

pixelzombie

So I'm in a bit of an indecisive pickle. I tend to like both ios and android for different reasons. I have a samsung phone but a Macbook Pro. Then there's the tablet for school. Right now I have an Ipad mini. For the most part, I've fell in love with the idea of remote desktop applications and like that I can have access to my adobe applications via a tablet.

Now I also use this for school for taking notes. I've been typing the up with the mini's keyboard but I like the idea of write to text which I also found an app for in the Mini. Again though, it's a small space but so easy to throw into my bag.

With the Ipad Air, I'll be able to keep the apps I paid for with the Mini, bigger screen, simpler user interface. I can write to text and do my remote desktop stuff. Downfall: it's just a bigger version of Ipad Mini and to my disappointment, ios7's icons look like the 5 year old son of an android employee got a hold of it. Also good styluses with precision are hard to come by.

With Samsung, It's like a bigger version of my phone..sorta...so I know how it all works. Already comes with write to text app and has a more detailed keyboard. Stylus comes with it and is awesomly skinny. Downfall: it's got alot of crap on it i dont want and cant get rid of, money down the drain from my Mini apps, App selection isn't as good, noticeable lag in general (especially where the remote desktop is concerned).

My first question is, will IOS handle remote desktop better even though it has less ram?

Second, while I know this is primarily an IOS forum, which do you think would work out better in the long run and why?

My logic is telling me Samsung but my gut's telling me Ipad Air. Lol help, please!!....:p Thanks in advance. (First post by the way! I'm bad at intros so I almost never post in introduction threads.)

2. Cyloncat macrumors regular

Cyloncat

Just to make your decision harder, take a look at the Surface 2 and Type Cover. If you're going to be typing a lot, not just taking notes in school but probably writing papers, a decent keyboard ought to be part of your decision.

3. fredylee macrumors member

Nobody ever told anyone to follow your logic, they always tells you to "Follow your gut".

Having said that, here are a few answer to your questions:
    1. iOS and iPad in general have no problem running RDP. I had iPad since 1 until 4, and mini as well and all RDP are working fine for me (Logmein, Team Viewer, VNC, etc).

2. Ram had nothing do with OS performance as long as they are sufficient. 1GB of ram in iPad is more than enuf to handle anything you throw at them.

3. iPad Air is not going to be same as overblown mini. iPad mini uses iPad 2 cpu, which are significantly less. iPad air CPU is 8x more powerful than iPad mini. iPad air also uses Retina Display, which will make viewing and using your iPad so much clearer and better.

4. Yes, you will be able to use all the apps your purchase from mini on the Air. Better yet, most of those apps should be able to handle the retina display and make viewing them so much nicer.

5. In a few years, Samsung Note will probably left behind in a dust at 4.2 Android, while your iPad Air is still soaring at the lates iOS (8, 9 or 10?)

Thus are just few of my quick observation. Feel free to chime in.

4. pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

Cyloncat: It crossed my mind to look at Surface 2 but ever since Windows 8 and the similar came along, I’ve run far away from the Windows system as possible. The new windows was a major reason I switched over to Macbook Pro.

fredylee:

1-That’s what I thought. I just ran it again on my Mini and it runs fairly smoothly.

2-Good to know although why do people complain about the lack of ram in newer iPads if 1gb is sufficient? I’m just curious because when I was doing my research, this seemed to be a common thing that came up in comparison articles.

3-Definitely liking that. When I asked in Best Buy, they said iPad Air and Samsung’s new Note were the same but iPad was lighter. But both had a preference to Android.

4-Yea….a big plus is the money saving….especially considering iPad air is the cheaper of the two. Although I usually don’t mind paying more if it’s worth it.

5-The one thing I like about the iOS I noticed no one else has is good sell back rates. Either one I go with, I’ll be selling my iPad mini more than likely. It’s a lot harder to sell a Samsung than an iPad when it comes to trade-in time. I’m a total technology addict so that’s something that’s rather useful for me.

5. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

IOS has been working for you. I wouldnt change it. Thats what I tell Android people. If it works why change? Plus iOS has support if this go wrong.

6. fredylee macrumors member

2. The only complainant I see is from ANANDTECH, and that's because anandtech is a tech reviewer who normally criticized device specs a little bit more. They worry because it is 64-bit, and that 1GB might not be enuf (emphasis on MIGHT). It is pure speculation, there is no problem that they noted while running the device. You won't see any other reviewer complaining about lag or insufficient memory from hundreds of other reviewer who have played with the Air for the past weeks.

3. Def not the same.

5. Yes, Resale value of iPad is quite amazing. Which tells you how much people valued the iOS device.

7. pixelzombie thread starter macrumors member

pixelzombie

It's worked for me for the most part although I wish someone would come up with a tablet that mixes the best of ios and android. The keyboard set up is nicer on android but the flow of typing is better on iOS for instance. I've been with Androids phone-wise since the S1 came out. I've been with iOS only a short period of time. They both have awesome qualities and crappy ones which is why it's so hard to decide. I'm not really hardcore with either one.

I switched from android to iOS for a tablet because I wanted to go away from the android interface....but then iOS 7 came out....