iPad iPad air question screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by debslol, Mar 1, 2014.

1. debslol macrumors newbie

Can someone tell me is the iPad air screen plastic or glass? I know the iPad 4 was glass because I broke it (still have shards in my fingertips ouch). But this iPad air feels like it is plastic. I am more afraid if scratching this screen than I did with the iPad 4. Thoughts?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It's glass, it's just a thinner and lighter glass than used before. It doesn't scratch easy or anything like that. No worries.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple uses glass for the iDevices, not plastic. I'd still recommend using a screen protector, just to be safe.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hehe it feels like hollow plastic but it's glass.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't speak for the air, but I think for the mini and rMini, its very very thin. Feels almost too thin imo. So far with over a year of usage on the mini and a handful of months on the rMini, its been rock solid but it does feel too thin

6. Rodster macrumors 68040

They feel the same to me IMO. I returned my rMini and now have an Air. Both screens to me have the same sound and feel. I'm a light tapper but it took some getting used to.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The rMini is holding up to my 8 year old girl's usage though I have on occasion told them to ease up on the hard tapping. I'm still concerned that such a thin layer of glass is more brittle then previous generations.

8. Rodster macrumors 68040

Yeah I know what you mean. I've gone from tapping to touching the glass, lol. While the glass will probably hold up to normal tapping it still makes you think twice. The Air is just a beautiful looking piece of hardware given all the tablets out there.

9. debslol thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for that answer puts me at ease!!:D