All iPads iPad Air/Retina Mini Chamfer - How is Yours Holding Up?

nickpro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I thought I'd check in with you all. I've had my Space Gray Air for a little over a month now and have noticed a couple small nicks on the chamfer area (out of nowhere). I use a Smart Cover and take very good care of it (hasn't left the house). Is this something that is normal? For those of you with original Minis - have you accumulated a fair amount of these over time? I know buying something like the Smart Case would prevent this but I really prefer the Cover because it truly allows the Air's slim design to shine. Thanks for your feedback!

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013
I have the iPad air in white, and mine is holding up really well. It doesn't have a single blemish anywhere. I've had mine since November 1st.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I've had mine since Black Friday and it still has just the one original nick that it came with. (I didn't notice the nick until a day or two later, decided I didn't care that much).

Mine goes in/out of my backpack purse daily, off to meetings in the office, and all over the house. I just have a SmartCover on the front and a Gelaskin decal on the back. I don't wear a lot of jewelry outside of a wedding ring though, so maybe I'm less apt to nick it since I don't wear a watch/bracelet.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I just got my Air yesterday, so time will tell. I can say that I picked up several over a year with the original mini, and I used a smartcover, never dropped it, and rarely traveled with it. The change from slate to space grey was supposed to alleviate that problem, though. I ended up with a silver Air so I'm hoping it holds up better in that regard. Interested to see how it compares to my space grey 5s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.