All iPads iPad Air/Rmini Movies

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bizii, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Bizii, Dec 7, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2013

Bizii macrumors newbie

I hope this thread hasn't been created yet (or a similar one). I'm thinking on purchasing an ipad air/rmini, not sure yet which one, and I would basically watch videos / movies on it. I wonder if anyone has found a problem watching movies on the ipad air/rmini, due to it's aspect ratio 4:3. I seen that you can double tap the screen and it will automatically fill the black lines of the screen, but im not clever if then it looks weird. Looking for your feedbacks, thanks! And sorry if there are many mistakes, i'm from Spain. Thank you again.

Edit: I saw there are some posts talking about if the screen is big enough, but it's not the same, so I hope noone comes and quotes that someone has already created a similar thread.

2. JGWolven macrumors regular

Watching movies may be the primary thing that I do on my Air. It's great. I doubt you would be disappointed.

3. bkribbs macrumors 65816

You may prefer the larger screen to see more, or you may prefer the smaller size/weight as it is easier to hold up for longer periods of time as opposed to propping it up, but you will find watching movies on either device good!

And maybe you can even use it for more too!

4. Bizii thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a nexus 10 and I found it too heavy. The ipad is about 125g lighter, which is pretty much a lot for a tablet, so I guess im fine about the weight, I was just curious about the black lines that I talked about. Can any of you two explain a bit more about what i'm concerned? I mean, if you double tap on the screen, do the black lines "disappear" and you still manage to see the movie as well as you did before double taping? Or it will automatically zoom in and you lose some size of the actual screen? Thanks.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Screen is the same as past models. Folks all over the world watch movies all the time on it. One of the reasons for buying it.

6. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I have a retina Mini and you're right, the 4:3 aspect ratio is a little annoying for watching movies.

Yes you can double-tap on the screen to have the video fill the whole screen, and it looks a better, except for the fact that it then cuts off the left and right sides of the video. This is only really a problem if you're watching something with subtitles, or with a lot of things happening at the edges of the screen, because it will cut them off.

Movies might be better on the iPad Air, because with the larger screen you won't have to worry about the black bars taking up as much screen space as you would on the mini.

7. Bizii thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

8. 007p, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

007p macrumors 6502a

I would get the Air if you are planning on just watching videos, bigger screen will help with any black bars.

In terms of movies the bars shouldn't be that big of a deal, majority of movies are 21:9 so even on a 16:9 tablet you would still get black bars. The biggest issue is when trying to watch 16:9 TV as you get black bars where you otherwise wouldn't on a 16:9 tablet. Its not that big of a deal for me, but I probably wouldn't like it that much on a mini due to the small screen size. I'd probably prefer to just watch something on my phone over a mini due to iPhone 5 being 16:9.