iPad Air Safari Tabs Crash

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Argon4k, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Argon4k macrumors member

I cannot open any tabs on my iPad Air in Safari. Every time I hit the "+" button it crashes back to the home screen. If I try to open a link in a website in a new tab/page, it won't do it (it doesn't crash though). I've tried the following:

• Reboot the device
    • Swipe up to close the app and then re-open it
    • Reset the network settings
    • Reset all settings
    • Mess with Safari settings and reboot the device

The only thing I haven't done is to erase all content and settings. I'm hoping there's another solution that will work first. If I do end up resorting to erasing all content and settings, will that just restore it to a factory reset of when I bought it?

2. RogueBiker macrumors newbie

ipad air safari crashes on + (open new tab)

The same thing was happening to me, consistently. Every time I hit the + it would dump me back to the (iOS) home screen.

Didn't respond to changes in the Safari settings, reloading the app, or even a power cycle of the iPad.

What *did* work for me was (under Settings | Safari ) doing a "Clear History" and "Clear Cookies and Data."

Since I did both in one shot before testing Safari again, I can't say for *sure* which one resolved it, but "Clear Cookies and Data" is the only thing that makes sense to me.

Working fine, now.

3. Argon4k thread starter macrumors member

This worked. I'm guessing that it was just clearing the cache/history/cookies that did it since that was the only thing I tried today. I tried the other stuff last night. I wonder if it has anything to do with restoring from an iCloud backup as opposed to a clean start?