iPad iPad Air screen-easier to scratch than previous models?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by technopimp, Nov 7, 2013.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I picked up a used Air on CL yesterday. The guy had barely used it for a day, the adapter and cable were still wrapped and it was basically tried out, he decided he didn't like it and got rid of it. I noticed there's already a decently-deep scratch in the screen (I didn't notice at the time). That seems odd to me given I've had my Mini since launch day and, while I have a SmartCover, I'm not overly protective of it and have been known to lay it face down without the cover on, and my screen is flawless.

Is the Air screen that much thinner/softer that its' going to be more prone to scratches?

This is not scratchgate/fear-mongering/OMGiPADAIRISTHESUCK, it's just a question. I really don't care one way or another, just asking.

2. Roy Hobbs, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

My guess is he was careless and scratched it. Otherwise why woudn't they just return it for a full refund.

3. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's possible, but like I mentioned it was barely used at all. Could be, but the screen does feel "thinner" and more plastic-y than even my Mini.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The screen is thinner but it should be just the same as other ipads when it come to scratch resistance as it is the same material.

5. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

The real question is why didn't this guy just return it for a refund? Seems sketchy to me.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

My 7 year old has had an iPad mini since Christmas and there is zero scratches on the screen. In my opinion the newer thin screens are just as scratch resistant.

8. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Craigslist? Sketchy? Naw. :cool:

He's kind of a friend-of-a-friend. He had no idea how it got scratched. He said he used it for an hour or two.

9. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Ah, it was scratched before he sold it. That makes more sense as to why he just sold it on CL.