iPad iPad Air screen marked

Discussion in 'iPad' started by QE2, Jan 11, 2014.

1. QE2, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014

QE2 macrumors member

I've just received a replacement iPad Air, after waiting a month and a half for stock to come in, so imagine the sorrow and anger I felt when I noticed the screen had two black marks on it! This is the third btw; first book spine shadow, second dead pixel...

I've never seen this before, and I'm not sure what exactly they are; both are a faint greyish black, one is a wispy line shape, the other more dot/splodge shaped.

What I can say, is that they're certainly not dead pixels, maybe they are dirt, or possible damage to the substrate.

What I can also add, is that the screen suffers from the well publicised 'book spine' effect, in that the lefthand edge has a dim shadow-like effect; the righthand side is fine of cause.

I've decided I've had it, I don't want to do this anymore, I've asked for a refund!

2. QE2 thread starter macrumors member

For added info, my serial starts DMRL... I don't suppose anybody could tell me the screen factory, or build date for that?

I've also attached a pic I took with my 5S - tbh, it struggled rather a lot to focus, and doesn't show the marks as readily as they appear to the eye, but it's something...

Attached Files:

3. Epiphron macrumors regular

I've had so many issues with the Air too. After my 4th replacement I decided to just keep it - even though it has a book spine effect. Better than yellow screens and dead pixels I guess

4. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

One of the rMini 's I had was like this. Annoyingly it was perfect apart from that.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

That's dust under the glass. Very common, unfortunately. Turn the iPad off and shine a flashlight on the screen while it's off and you will see the dust particles. Every iPad I've seen has some dust particles, but only some are noticeable when the display is on. This is why when I order Apple products I order three at a time and usually one is satisfactory. The others I return. If Apple's quality control is lacking, you can do it for them.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've had a few iPads and never had this issue. I also would never order three of anything and just decide I'll do QC for some company. Such a giant ass waste of my time and a waste of my energy worrying about a "problem" before I even get something new.

7. myrtlebee, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Well, you can go by your experience and I will go by mine (which has worked for me every time, by the way). I'll tell you what a giant ass waste of my time is- having to return multiple times to get something that is not defective. Order 3 online, pick the one that's good when they come (because odds are that one is acceptable), send back the other 2 with Apple's free return shipping and in a day or two your money's refunded. I wouldn't have to do this if their quality control wasn't **** for the past four years.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

The bigger problem, in my opinion, is that all of the nice graphics usually associated with iPads are not present in that photo...definitely a problem. I'd be pissed too if my iPad came with a plain white screen. ;)

9. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Or, you know, it might be a close up of the extensive white found in almost every app in iOS 7.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

As you can probably tell, I don't think there is any significant flaw in that photo, and if it's zoomed in to that degree just to make it barely visible in a photo then that would further support my point of view. Clearly we all have different levels of sensitivity. For example, why didn't the OP point out the dark spot in the upper right corner?

[​IMG]