iPad iPad Air Screen Settling In?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ryanpfw, Nov 30, 2013.

1. ryanpfw macrumors member

Purchased an ipad air today. I noticed the screen was slightly yellow in a corner and in comparison to my very white and bright iPad 3 was overall dimmer. Did a return at the Apple Store and asked to check the new one out before I left. It looked good, but when comparing it to the iPad 3 I brought with me the whites were noticeably yellower. They suggested I compare both to the demo models. Three that I checked were whiter than the one I had just opened.

They said they were consistently coming out the same in the boxes and would authorize one more exchange. I was more than fine to do a full return at this point as I am not spending $500 on a yellow ipad. The third came out the same as the first two. They mentioned "adhesive" and letting the screen settling in. I know the glue issue of the iPhone 4 is not present here but figure I was either tremendously unlucky, they tried really hard to select great demo units or perhaps the unit does brighten after use for a period of time for whatever reason.

What say you. I kept it for a week to see if there is improvement. If not, I'll swap it out for a kindle fire. Are they blowing smoke or have any units improved after a few days?

2. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Actually, if you remember, at the iPad 2 launch, this is exactly what had happened. Apple was pumping them out and shipping as quickly as they could make them, and so with that, some people were experiencing yellow screens until the adhesive dried.

I'm actually surprised no one has mentioned this yet. Good catch.

3. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

the only time i've ever bought a gen 1 product was the first iPad, and i bought it like 6 months after it had dropped so there was no production/stock issue.

i just don't understand the need to have a device the first minute it's available.

i usually wait until the 2-4 month mark before i buy anything, just to make sure the item isn't junk/flop

4. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

It won't settle down. Just get it replaced. I had an iPad with similar issue and used it for about 2 weeks. It was same.

Just got a replacement and its screen is perfect now :)

5. mtntrance macrumors member

Yep, went through several to get two good ones. One for the wife and one for me. One actually had cosmetic flaws too-nicks on the back. It's a freaking lottery.

6. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

I went back and was served on by a terrific salesperson. She offered to open several boxes until we found one I was happy with, and if that did not work indicated that the geniuses had Airs that were either refurbished or already opened (she was unspecific) but that there would be more control over the type of screen I was getting without playing roulette. She also validated my concern with the screen right away. She had someone else open the boxes with me who admitted that he did not think my original one we concerning but again offered to make sure I left satisfied.

He brought over two boxes and upon opening the first one it was considerably brighter than the one that I returned. The left side was dim on my original and this one seemed a brighter and clear, albeit a bit warmer. I accepted it. They told me to ask for them if I need to return again. They confirmed that the original salesperson was not correct when they told me there was adhesive to dry, but did say with all LCDs there may be a burn-in quotient that could improve the yellow. Using it today, the left side continues to be a bit warmer than the right, but no evident book spine.

Any guesses as to what they meant by opened iPads at the Genius Bar? While I recognize adhesive is not an issue is it on paper possibly of slight burn-in improvements?

7. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The first Air I bought was on launch day, and the screen was slightly yellow on the left side. That Air has been used extensively since day one, and its screen is now very uniform and white. I bought another last week, and its screen was much more yellow, but changed back and forth. No matter, since Best Buy has the 128GB version on sale this past weekend, and the second one was traded in. The new Air has a very slight tint on the left side, much like the first. If it stayed the same, I'd keep it, but if it becomes more white over time, it'll be perfect. I have 40 days, so time will tell.....

8. laela macrumors regular

laela

I'm seeing the same thing... slight yellow tint on the left side seems to be evaporating. Either that or I'm noticing it less. Depends on angle and lighting conditions but definitely seems to be improving over time.

Really quite pleased with my iPad Air overall.

9. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

People should stop worrying about these minor details and start enjoying these incredible products that you are lucky enough to own. There are billions of people who would love to have such trivial problems for the opportunity to own such a remarkable piece of consumer technology. Appreciate what you have and don't take it for granted!

10. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Exactly! And while we're at it, we should all stop sending food back at restaurants that isn't what we ordered or isn't cooked properly. There are billions of starving people who would love to have your burnt steak! Stop worrying and start chewing! If you can do with it with a $600 iPad, surely a measly $30 steak won't break the bank.

Oh, and that car you just bought, with the faulty brakes? Stop complaining! Most people have to WALK everywhere! You have a CAR! Learn to brake earlier and shut up already!

Yes, let's all just be thankful for everything we have. Accept whatever products companies make for us. Quality is a luxury, not a right. They were kind enough to make them for us, and we are lucky to have them, regardless of silly little details like whether they perform as expected or as advertised. The sooner we learn to lower our standards, the happier we'll all be.

11. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

I spent $500 on my iPad and fully expect it to have a great screen. I strongly considered a Kindle Fire to save cash but wanted to remain in the ecosystem so spent more to do so. I'm perfectly willing to return it if it's not up to snuff. They seem perfectly willing to keep trying until I am satisfied. There is no justification for settling.

12. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Dude I always love your posts. Always on point.

* doffs cap *

13. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Okay but you do realise you're costing Apple money? They are a very good company but if people continue to abuse the returns policy I fear it will be changed to the detriment of everyone.

14. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Agreed, going to use a quote from the construction site I'm working on.

"Quality is a standard, Not a customer extra"

15. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

Any consumer who returns any opened item for any reason is costing a store money. It is not an abuse to do so and is part of doing business. If I spend $500 on a product and light is leaking out the side of it, should I accept it because I was not lucky enough to have chosen the box to the right of it off the shelf? If I can tell instantly the orientation of my ipad based on what side of the screen is yellow or white, should I simply buy another tablet to read on should I find this distracting?

As to the level of returns allowed, this is Apple's decision. I would argue that there is a correlation between low quality control and high rates of returns and the blame should not be placed on the consumer. I do not need an iPad. I want one. If Apple cuts me off, that is their call. They will only get Amazon.com one additional kindle sale. In fact, Amazon's best day ever would be the day Apple declared "All sales final - no returns!" on their iPads.

In truth, the reps at the store have confirmed my findings and offered to do anything and everything to make it right, and I will stick with them until if find an acceptable device, or should my current one burn in as they suggested is possible. Should the company go in a different direction, it would be to their detriment.