iPad Air Simlock (UK - Orange)

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by eliotn, Feb 3, 2014.

1. eliotn macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought a sealed (brand new) ipad Air on ebay and it appears to be locked to EE/Orange.
    As I didnt realize that ipad's have simlocks, the question is: can it be unlocked?

It says: SIM Activation, when a different carrier SIM is in. :eek:

Thanks
    Jake

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Is the SIM you are putting in, active from another iPad?

3. eliotn thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

I guess my question is, if the SIM is awaiting activation why do you think it is locked to another carrier?

5. biohead macrumors 6502

Typically, iPads from UK carriers are locked... and only the original owner can get an unlock processed - and its not an easy process at all when dealing with EE. You might be able to find a service on eBay - but there's no guarantee it'll work, and for EE unlocks you're looking around the £100 mark.

Realistically, you can either sell it, and buy an unlocked one - or move to EE for the data plan.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Put an orange SIM card in and keep it topped up for 3 months. Once you've done that you can apply to have it unlocked. Orange charge £30ish for this privilege.

However if the device was taken out on a contract your buggered as orange won't unlock till the original 12/18/24 month contract has lapsed.

Good luck

7. eliotn thread starter macrumors newbie

SIMs tested are:
    EE
    Orange
    TMobile

All work without any activation prompt.

o2, which I would like to use, does not work saying that the SIM is not valid (not supported).

Unlocking for the above networks cost £21. I wanted to avoid this cost additional cost, if possible.