All iPads iPad Air - SLOW for changing wallpaper

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Roy G Biv, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

My iPad Air is very slow with changing its wallpaper. The whole process takes roughly 20-30 seconds. I work with interior design and decorating, and I'm using the iPad exclusively for changing wallpaper over 8-12 hours 6 days / week. What can I do?

2. stsoulos macrumors newbie

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Working just fine here. No lag at all changing wallpapers.

Maybe try a reset?

4. zbarvian macrumors 68010

As we all should know, the A7 is way more powerful than needed to get the animations and draw simple gradients and glyphs at 60fps in iOS 7. The problem lies with the software. Hopefully Apple will address these weird performance quirks shortly.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

ios7 is slow for changing wallpapers. Not iPad

6. iosuser macrumors 6502a

That's funny, about changing your iPad wallpaper full-time :D Unless you meant it, literally, that it's what your work with design and decorating entails, then I apologize :eek:

My iPad 4 did the same thing, taking a very long time to list and apply wallpaper changes. On my iPad Air, it's instant. I suspect it's because I haven't yet transferred my entire photo library over. Still though, on the iPad 4 while it was still on iOS 6, using the same photo library it changed wallpaper much more quickly.

7. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

Works fine here. Did you restore from backup or setup as new?
    I setup as new and haven't seen any lag at all!

8. CJisohsocool macrumors 6502

i dont have the air, but the mini, and i have noticed after updating to ios 7 changing the wallpaper is much slower. So it might be an ios 7 problem not ipad air.

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

No, it isn't simply down to iOS 7. My iPad 3 was slow changing wallpapers but my new Air is virtually instantaneous. And that's with both of them set up from the same backup.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I have 5 devices running ios7. 3 of which ran all the beta versions. Wallpapers have lagged since beta 3 when they added parallax effect.

11. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

I thought it was fixed in iOS 7.0.3 because my ipad 2 can change wallpapers as fast as iOS 6 did. I think the op should reboot or restore.

12. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Anecdotes don't tell the whole story. Of the three devices I've run iOS 7 on, only the iPad 3 (now sold) lagged while changing wallpapers. Both the iPhone 5s and iPad Air in my possession function perfectly, although others are reporting problems. This would tend to indicate that the issue is more complex than simply being a bug in iOS 7.

13. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

10 secs tops, and that's navigating from my home screen to my utilities sub folder to get to settings then going to wallpaper, choosing positioning and setting. Wasn't even rushing through the process.

14. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Try rebooting. My ipad 3 was like that. Not the air. I rebooted a few times after restoring from backup and the airis super speedy. I used to also see lag in the kindle app with my 3. All gone now.

15. Roy G Biv thread starter macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Maybe I should be more specific. I use the iPad Air exclusively for changing it wallpaper. So any delay with changing wallpaper can be excruciating.

As an interior designer and decorator, wallpaper makes up most of the work I deal with. Instead of putting samples up, it's much easier to just change it on the iPad.

16. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

The Air is at least twice as fast as the iPad 4 in changing wallpaper, (3-4 seconds as opposed to 8-10 seconds).

If you are just showing off a wallpaper wouldn't it be easier to just use the photos app and flick between the images you want to show?

17. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I'm suspecting this may be a troll thread tbh.

18. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

So did I, if I'm honest.

I just thought I would give the benefit of the doubt and try and give a normal answer to a strange question ;).

19. monk fish macrumors member

20. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

No, it isn't.

21. monk fish macrumors member

Exactly you guys need to try my galaxy s3 out :eek:

22. Sir Ruben, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Just did a video to settle this once and for all:

http://youtu.be/vMDp5oa76hc

Seems to be perfectly fine to me. Potential troll trying to harm the reputation of the Air by posting negative things that happen on previous iPads? (iPad 3 for example was very slow changing the wallpaper). Failing that maybe he restored an iCloud backup from a previous iPad? If that's the case restoring the device and setting it up as new should resolve. I resisted restoring from a backup for these kind of reasons.

23. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Haha I love how my vid has killed this topic dead :D