iPad iPad Air Smart Case pics and impressions!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Aneres11, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Aneres11 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys.
    Apologies for another Smart Case / Cover thread. I picked up my Apple Smart Case today and thought I would post my impressions and a couple of pictures for those interested.

I didn't want to buy a Smart Cover as for me, it's the back of the iPad that is most susceptible to scratches, and I couldn't think of anything worse than putting a sheet of plastic on the back of my beautiful iPad Air! :D

So I went for the Smart Case. My local(ish) store only had the yellow one in stock, which is handy as that's the colour I really wanted! Plus it was five pound cheaper than the other colours for some reason. Presumably they think the yellow isn't desirable? Fools! Ha.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it. iPad fits snugly, the colour is lovely and the leather is really nice to touch. I also feel like the iPad is fully protected which is exactly what I bought it for!

Here's some pics. Very pleased with it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reminds me of my 5c! :D only my 5c is blue!

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

If only the cover was removable. I would totally go for one of these.

3. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

How has the case been when in the folded position to type on?

4. Aneres11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Honestly - not great. I've only just started to notice that too the last couple of hours after posting. I don't know how you're meant to fold the damn thing! There only seems to be one way to fold it but it isn't very sturdy. Seems strange they got rid of the 4 segments and made it 3 instead.

I'm not gonna return it or anything, I'm very happy with the case as a protective item - and it looks amazing :p but I do think it could be better with the typing support. Or I could just be doing it wrong...

5. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I received my brown Smart Case on Friday, and have used it since then. Here's my take on it:

Pros - It looks very nice, and I really like the brown color with the white iPad Air. The leather also has a nice feel, the cover lays nice and flat on the screen, and the sleep/wake function works fine. The typing and viewing positions work ok. It's also relatively light for a case/cover.

Cons - The case sides flex too much to suit me. This is really annoying when I'm holding the case with my thumb on the lip around the screen. I sometimes like to fold the cover on this case style into its triangle shape to use as a left-hand grip when holding. This is impossible on this case, due to the cover only having three sections and not four. I also wish the cover extended just a tiny bit more beyond the edge of the case, as it is sometimes hard to grab the cover edge to open it.

I have a brown Invellop case ordered that I should receive this week. We'll see if it outperforms the Apple case.

6. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

the backs look good but I can't stand how the front covers always leave two impression lines on the screen.

7. metrocon macrumors member

Does the new smart case have magnets on the back that hold the cover when it's open and folded back? I have a 3rd party smart case style case for my iPad 3 that does this, though I believe the original smart cases didn't.

8. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Yes, there are magnets, but they are not very strong. If you hold the middle top flap with your hand, the end piece will usually stay "attached" to the back.

9. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

Is it possible to add a metal strip o. The back so the flap can stay secure?