iPad iPad Air Smart Cover Alternatives?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by darabo, Nov 4, 2013.

1. darabo macrumors member

I'm highly interested in the Smart Cover for the iPad Air however due to the price, material and new three-fold design I'd rather get something else.

I've been looking online for an alternative Smart Cover, however the only 3rd party choices are for Smart Cases.

Does anyone know of any good 3rd party iPad Air Smart Covers?

2. ap105 macrumors regular

I'm in the exact boat as you. I love the Air's light weight and don't want to add a bulky case. I love the Smart Cover. Sleek and makes the Air light weight. Would love to know if there are alternatives reasonably priced

3. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

5. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

The problem with four folds, is they're going to be much smaller. That's fine if you want to use it as a grip, or to prop it up at a shallow angle for typing. It's going to be less stable when propped up at a steeper angle for viewing. I watched a couple of YouTube videos, and the Air's Smart Cover offers much greater stability than the older four fold design at a steep angle.

6. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Are there any alternatives that magnetically connect to the edge just like the Apple smart cover, but are not the $40 rip-off smart cover? I'd prefer to keep the back bare...most online wrap all the way around and add a lot of thickness.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Look 2 posts up.
    ;)

8. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Huh? Those look like they cover the back as well.

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

They do but I was saying that to me it looks like its 2-pieces and who says you have to use both?
    The description talk about them being color-matched (no need to color match only one piece) and how the cover attaches magnetically.
    Maybe ask the seller.

10. jccfork macrumors newbie

Same here.

For my previous iPad 2 I had an orange Smart Cover which I was kinda happy with, though iPad's back was plenty of scratches.

So I was seriously considering to get the new iPad Air Smart Case, but its price, and more important, its instability when vertically positioned really made my think twice.

Due to that I might stick to Smart Cover... :rolleyes:

Perfect choice would be something similar to Smart Case, which doesn't look cheap, nor thicker than Smart Case, and with good vertical stability. But not sure if exists such one...

11. jccfork macrumors newbie

I finally bought a Smart Cover in black.
    As said before, only thing that worries me a bit is back scratches. Will have to be careful, although I actually don't know if iPad Air's back material scratches as easily as previous models.
    For the rest, Smart Cover is awesome.

12. FightTheFuture, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

I came across the Besdata Smart Cover & Case on Amazon. This looks like what we're looking for, for $17:

[​IMG]

It even has a metal hinge for the Smart Cover like the iPad 2.

According to the reviews, the cover can be used without the back case. However, I read through the reviews (they are for all iPad models) and noticed one that stated if the Cover is used without the back case, when it's laid flat behind the iPad, the magnet will trigger the sleep mode. Seems like a big disadvantage, and $17 doesn't seem so cheap anymore.

Guess the search continues until people start selling used Smart Covers. :(

You can always get an invisible shield or skin to protect the back. There will be custom skins being made soon, I'm sure. Plus it'll make the iPad Air less slippery.

also - didn't realize you were looking for four-folds, but FrankB1191 covered that earlier.

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

This one is supposed to have excellent vertical stability.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E44B18I/ref=ox_ya_os_product

That looks just like a more expensive version of the one above from eBay.
    Same metal hinges.

14. faster315 macrumors newbie

You know that's a photo of an iPad 2, right? I don't think they're gonna do the machined aluminum hinge parts for an iPad air. That'd be a lot of wasted manufacturing startup, so to continue an outdated and inefficient design.

15. FightTheFuture, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Oh, you're right - didn't notice the hinges on the screenshot till you mentioned it. It's probably the same product with different branding for Amazon.

The Amazon reviews do verify that the cover can be used separately for what it's worth to dmk1974.

According to the reviews, the hinges are metal for iPad Mini, I assume they will stick to that design for the iPad Air.

16. punkassjim macrumors newbie

That alone would keep me from buying. Those hinges scratch the device over time. And it's still surprising they'd manufacture it; the magnet layout for iPad Air is very different than it is for iPad 2. My prediction: if they do it that way, these covers won't be compatible with most back covers, because the hinge will be too long.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I just ordered that one to have in hand. I'm not totally sure I will like having the cover attached - but the video review was a selling point.

I've looked at so many cases the last week I'm bleary eyed. Nothing has jumped out at me. I've had the Speck Candyshell on my iPad1 since launch. No desire to use anything else - it works well for my needs.

18. nomura macrumors newbie

I was also looking at the cover you mentioned above, it has everything I ask for:
    -Front and back cover, in the slimmest possible form factor
    -Sleep/wake function

But I was highly worried about the metal hinge potentially scratching the iPad.

So I just found this case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PU-Leather-...vers_Keyboard_Folios&var=&hash=item6d8032db66

I want a Grey cover, and the "White" cover seems to been sort of gray-ish. How real are those photos? What about the back-cover for the rest of colors? Is it translucent like the blue and red?

Anyone tried? What do you think?

19. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

20. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Also interested in this, subbing. The Miniot wood smart cover looks gorgeous but of course it's even more expensive than Apple's.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

Nomura - let us know if you do purchase and receive this case. I like it as well but my reluctance is buying from China. No issue to buy but a pain to return if you have a problem. Any US sellers of it?

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

That's not surprising considering the Miniot cases are hand made plus wood is a more expensive material then polyurethane.

23. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Found and ordered this one today, purple is what I really wanted so I was very excited to see that as an option. I'll let you guys know how it is when I receive it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200985791086