iPad iPad Air Smart Cover causing problems *video*

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by SpikeOut, Nov 4, 2013.

1. SpikeOut, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

SpikeOut macrumors newbie

Hey there,

Wondered if anyone else has had this problem...

Bought an iPad air with an office smart cover. It fits well, centred and puts the ipad to sleep when you close it.

BUT

Every time I fold the smart cover to the back of the device and I hold it in landscape mode - the iPad locks and goes to sleep itself as if it was covering the front. This doesn't happen at all in portrait mode.

E.g. Hold the iPad in portrait, open the cover, fold it back *iPad awakes* enter passcode, iPad unlocks, turn iPad to landscape - iPad locks and goes to sleep

E.g 2. Using the iPad in landscape mode with smart cover flipped to the back, your hand slips a little and the cover sags and then comes back in contact with the back of the device --> ipad goes to sleep. can take a few seconds or straight away

Anyone else got this?! video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G50gA6Ak_ew

** Edit: AV sync issue on video corrected, new link added **

2. davetheduck macrumors member

Watched the video, I have the black cover too and I cant recreate the issue.. Weird..

3. SpikeOut thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's incredibly annoying when using it in landscape - keeps on going to sleep every time I change the position of my hands. Anyone else?

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Seems like this a was a problem in the past of the magnets being a bit too strong?

5. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

If they are not strong enough then then they don't stick to the back. My SmartCase doesn't stick to the back very well, but I'm not having the sleep problem.

6. SpikeOut thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought that too but if that was the case then it would do the same thing in every direction - not just holding then iPad with the volume buttons pointing up

7. SpikeOut thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump

Anyone else having this? Thinking of returning the Smart Cover because of it

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

The iPad smart covers are not meant to stick to the back. I've never heard of that before and mine never has.

9. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

No issues with my Smart Case

I have no issues with my (Blue) Smart Case. I would return it and get another as that behaviour is not supposed to happen.

10. SpikeOut thread starter macrumors newbie

I just don't understand how it's only when you hold the iPad in a particular way - I'll try a new cover next week

11. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

My iPad2 Apple leather cover did most definitely stick to the back of my iPad2. I still have it.

12. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Sounds like there must be something loose inside the iPad.
    I'd take it along with you to an Apple store and show it to someone.

13. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

iPad issue more likely, IMO...

IMO, this is more likely to be an internal iPad issue than a cover issue. I would bet on a sensor not properly positioned, or a shield left out that would keep the magnets in the cover from acting upon the sensor.

14. Mandarine macrumors newbie

Do you know what's the reason? I have the same issue but in my case it doesn't matter if the iPad Air is in portrait or landscape mode.

15. Mandarine macrumors newbie

I have visited Apple Store and tried many Smart Covers with the same result. They confirmed it is the iPad issue and gave me the new one.

16. fillilutten macrumors member

I just received my iPad air and smart cover, and i got this problem in both orientations. SO frustrating :(
    I will call apple tomorrow cause I guess its the iPad thats the problem here.