iPad iPad Air Smart Cover impressions

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by DaGrandMastah, Nov 1, 2013.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

I loved the old leather smart cover and hate that they didn't offer it for this model. With that said, I love the idea of just using a smart cover and a sleeve for transportation so I opted to go with a black iPad air smart cover.

Honestly, I feel like they upped the quality on these things significantly. I remember seeing a regular polyurethane smart cover for the old iPad and feeling like it was too flimsy but this new version feels a lot thicker (which makes me thing it'll hold up longer).

I know there are people on here that really wanted the leather smart cover for the iPad air.....I would suggest giving the polyurethane one a shot.

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

The one thing that I hate is the cover doesn't fold in half like it used to (due to the new size and 3 panels instead of 4).

3. mbhforum macrumors 6502

Also to add, they replaced the metal hinges which used to always come off causing the cover to fall off now with the same polyurethane material and it grips to the iPad much better. They definitely improved it. From the initial reviews of the smart case, the cover seems to be the better choice. I just wish it came in more colors. I got it in yellow for my silver iPad.

4. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I'll get used to it but that is something I didn't like. I understand why it has to be that way but I preferred it the old way.

----------

That too. Honestly I just think it's a more substantial feel. It just feels like it's built to last far better than the old polyurethane cover. I honestly don't even mind that they took away the leather cover now.

5. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

I bought the red Smart Cover and even though I think its really nice, I'll likely be returning it.

I haven't had a Smart Cover on previous iPads because I was paranoid about the metal hinge scratching the iPad. I decided to give it a shot with the Air because of the fabric hinge. The quality and feel is very very nice, but almost too nice. Normally I just have a cheap TPU case from eBay on the back which does a good job protecting the iPad, and because its cheap, it don't care it it gets marked or scratched. But at $45 (Canadian price) and with the soft the material its made of, I feel like I need to protect the cover that is supposed to be protecting my iPad. Plus I still need a case to protect the back. I don't think I would feel comfortable throwing my iPad in a bag with just the Smart Cover and a rear shell, I would want to put it in a zip sleeve to protect the cover, which is what I do now with no Smart Cover. For me, it basically makes it a useless layer of "protection".

But its not only my OCD about ruining the beautiful cover. I don't think I'll use the stand since I normally only use it on the sofa, holding it with one hand. The Smart Cover gets in the way when holding it in one hand because it flaps around behind the iPad instead of sticking to the back.

I'm sure lots of people enjoy their Smart Covers and they are very nice, I just don't think they suit my use. Damn me getting seduced by the pretty colors :D

6. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

You find a nice sleeve for it yet? If so, which one?

7. bnorthro macrumors member

I got the black Poly cover. I'm coming from an iPad 3 with a leather cover and I really don't like the poly, bummed they didn't make leather this generation. I'll likely be returning it and holding out for someone to make a leather version.

My impressions:
    - Material feels very cheap, the edges are sharp and it doesn't feel nice in the hand.
    - Unlike the guy above, I preferred the metal hinge. Again, the flex hinge just feels cheap, the metal one felt well engineered and substantial.
    - The polyurethane is sticky, ie it doesn't slide we'll into my felt sleeve at all. This is a major bummer. It also seems like it's going to pick up lint like crazy, though this could change over time.
    - The 3 fold design kinda sucks IMO. I used to fold the leather cover inside out so the leather was on the outside & it tucked away nicely. The 3 fold is rather large when folded and doesn't really sit well in your hand while holding the iPad. The caveat is perhaps it's more stable when used as a stand, I don't really use it as a stand so I can't comment on that.

8. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's plenty of sleeves online. I'm still using a black leather coach sleeve that my sister bought me for xmas last year. I think she bought it at an outlet store. I'll keep using that one for as long as I can....great black sleeve...and obviously great quality.

9. Matt.Simmons macrumors member

I agree with all these points. I was pretty bummed actually and will be returning mine. I think a simple leather sleeve will suffice.

10. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

The quality is awesome and even posted a thread on how disappointed I was of the non leather smart covers. I was wrong,picked up a black one as well

11. Rosewood23 macrumors member

My cover doesn't lay completely flat. It is rising up from the iPad at the first crease (from the left of the smart cover). It doesn't wake the iPad but its rather annoying. Anyone else having this issue? Perhaps its just because it is new?

12. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Got the black cover for my black Air and I'm very happy with it.

13. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'm also annoyed it doesn't fold back in half. I've resorted to taking it off when using the iPad cos I can't find a way of folding to back I'm happy with.

14. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Thats actually the way I prefer to use it. If its in active use I just set it aside. The cover is there when I need to store, transport, or stand it.

15. Mr.C macrumors 601

I never fold mine in half when I'm using my iPad so it doesn't really bother me. I use mine virtually exclusively in landscape mode and its not practical when doing that to fold it just half way. I just fold it right back if I'm actually holding the iPad in my hand(s).

16. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I got a blue one, but will likely return it and get a red one...I think it's pretty good, but then again I never had the leather ones

17. sarcone macrumors newbie

I picked up a black Smart Cover today after returning the Belkin trifold cover. I've had smart covers on my 2 and my 4.

Changes that I like from the old smart covers: the hinge magnets are much stronger and I don't think I'll have any issues with it coming off during normal usage, which my grey cover did occasionally. I also like the hinge being entirely covered because my ipad 2 was scratched by the first cover I had. And unlike what I've read from other people, my new black cover actually has a light magnetic hold to the back of my ipad, not enough to stay when being moved a lot, but enough that I can hold the back and not have it flop down while being still and reading or watch videos.

Things I don't like: this cover does feel cheaper than my grey one for my 4. Also, like many others, I'd rather have the four folds than three, because it felt more secure when using as a stand. I'm wary that the cover will unfold on me when propping up the ipad. And finally, my cover is just a tad bit off center when closed. Not enough to obsess about, but it sets to where there is a slight lip at the top of my ipad and I can feel it catch on my fingers. But since I'll either be using it open or having it put away closed, that's not a major OCD issue for me.

Over all, I'm happy with it at the moment. I'm probably going to grab one of the back covers with the metal/magnetic strip when they are released. I had an incipio with this feature for my 4 that I really liked.

18. Sh4wN macrumors regular

I had a black leather cover for my iPad 4 and thought I'd get one for my Air and was pretty bummed when they announced they'd only offer it in polyethurane. Today I bought the black cover and the brown case and I'm going to return the case. It makes the slim and light Air feel pretty bulky. I never felt the need to protect the backside anyway.

As for that new cover... I'm pretty happy with it! It fits fine, material feels sturdy and not cheap and the new hinges are very nice, mich stronger. I'd love to be able to fold it in half, like the 4 parts construction, but I think the new 3 fold way works pretty good, it's a lot more stable because of it larger base when folded, too.

19. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Any one else's Smart Cover have weak magnets? The cover seems to sag a lot in the middle because the magnets that hold down the cover are lacking (not the "hinge" magnets)

20. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

Mine does the same thing.

21. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

Best Buy had three colors yesterday; lime, pink, and black. I got the black. It fits perfectly. As I picked up a 13" MBPr I won't be writing much on the iPad and so didn't need a sturdy case like I had before. I wanted the cover to keep the slim fit and light weight of the Air.

22. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

i think magnets are only inside last section of cover, other two doesn't stick or very weak. otherwise it is ok, expensive!

----------

everyone, it is design...

23. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Does adding a rear shell enhance the smart cover at all?

24. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

25. lsh macrumors 6502

With the 4 sections, I could prop the cover with side touching screen IN so it stayed clean. I don't want grit scratching the screen. Now I'm torn.