iPad iPad Air Smart cover is the same for Air 2, hold onto it!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Mooseiah, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Mooseiah macrumors member

Just saw on Apple's site that the original Air, and Air 2 both use the same smart cover. For those of you selling/giving away your original Air who have a smart cover, do hold onto this as it will work with your Air 2 as well! I was planning on it going away with mine just as I'd have no use for it, glad I checked :D

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'd be very surprised if they don't start silently making the cases more slim to fit the thinner Air 2. The leather will easily stretch to accommodate the Air. But it's not Apple's style to have a slimmer new device in a baggy case from the previous model.

*edit* just realized you're talking about the smart cover, not the smart case

3. Mooseiah thread starter macrumors member

Smart case likely won't work, but did see on their site the smart cover is listed as compatible with both.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MGXL2ZM/A/ipad-air-smart-cover-green

Looks like it likely grasps on slightly further down on the Air 2 to make up for the minimal 1.4mm difference between the two models. More of a PSA than anything for those of you who have a cover already and weren't going to hold onto it.

EDIT: They are listing a separate smart case for the Air 2, it is just the smart cover that works with both.

4. mbhforum, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

mbhforum macrumors 6502a

iPad Air Smart cover is the same for Air 2, hold onto it!

Thanks! I ordered a Smart Cover for 10 bucks on Amazon from the original iPad Air. Apple probably changed the model number to get people to buy a new one. I will be returning the $40 one I ordered from Apple now. I recommend everyone do the same because eventually these will be sold out on Amazon and suppliers will have the new ones at a much higher price. Even if the one I bought on Amazon isn't "authentic"...

5. BenSCR macrumors newbie

BenSCR

I have just chatted online to Apple, and I was told that the original iPad Air smart cover will fit on an iPad Air 2. But I was also told that new smart cases will be available in the near future!

I was going to buy a new smart cover for my pre-order of an iPad Air today, as my cover of my iPad Air (still in good condition) but a little worn looking needs replacing. But in light of being told new smart cases will be available in the near future I will wait until next Friday when the iPad Air 2 goes on general release before I buy a new smart cover.

6. MikesGravity macrumors 6502

Thanks for starting this thread, came here looking for the answer as I got a great deal on a red Smart Cover for the iPad Air on Amazon and getting an Air 2 next week :)

7. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Just a heads-up here on the Apple Smart Covers... Staples has them online for $19.50. Sale ends today. I ordered one yesterday for my Air 2. My local Staples store had them on sale too, but at $25.

8. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Thanks for the heads up. I would never have thought to check Staples. I was able to order online for local store pickup at $19.50 + Tax.

9. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

iPad Air Smart cover is the same for Air 2, hold onto it!

You can find them for 5-10 bucks on Amazon.

10. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I haven't checked every cover on Amazon, but I seriously doubt that they have genuine, brand new Apple Smart Covers for iPad Airs for 5-10 bucks.

11. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

It's the ones for the iPad Air and most of the reviews are great. Even if they aren't genuine Apple Smart Covers, is it worth paying 6 times more if it's basically he same thing??

12. Rigby macrumors 601

Thanks from me as well! Got myself the last black smart cover at the local Staples for my new Air 2. :)

13. mrgossett macrumors 6502

You may be exactly right... I was just pointing out that they likely don't have new, Apple-branded iPad Air smart covers for $5-10.

14. ntnwwnet macrumors 6502

ntnwwnet

Awesome. 50% cheaper than buying rom Apple!

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

the problem with Apple accessory knockoffs is that while some are basically as good as the original, many are complete crap. weeding through the junk is a time and energy suck.

16. dsc888 macrumors 6502

Air and Air 2 SmartCovers ARE different!!!

I too got a discounted Air Smartcover for my new Air 2 from Staples and plan on returning the $39 one I got from Apple meant for the 2. Upon picking them both up, I noticed the older cover was in fact thicker than the newer model. I tried them both on the Air 2 and noticed no significant difference in how well it stuck onto the iPad or if it were off slightly at all. It seems the reduced thickness of the iPad 2 came from the bottom and both iPads had their magnets in the same location.

BUT, what I did notice was that the thinner, newer Smartcover didn't lay as flat on the surface of the tablet after it was used to support the iPad. The fold nearest the hinge actually "lifted" up slightly by about 2mm as it was folded in the opposite direction when used as a support. This was not an issue with the older, thicker iPad Air Smartcover. Thank goodness I had both of them to try out!

So at the end of the day, I decided to return the thinner, new Smartcover and save myself the $20. The thinner cover does indeed look more porportional and is slightly lighter due to thinner inserts between the poly and the microfiber layers. I feel the older cover offers more protection and stays flatter against the glass after it's been used as a stand.

17. mrgossett macrumors 6502

Just put my Staples $19.50 Apple Smart Cover on my Air 2 and it fits perfectly.

18. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

Thanks for the direct comparison. I was curious as to whether there was any difference. I'm quite pleased with my original Air Smart Cover.