iPad iPad Air so lightweight it's fragile?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Nov 1, 2013.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Am I the only one that feels like I could bend this thing in half and crush it like an aluminum can? BTW that's not a criticism loving the lightweight feel but I do need to get a shell case at least on this bad boy asap. No way in hell id go naked. :p

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Is it lightweight enough to hold it in one hand for long term reading? I can't decide between ipad mini or ipad air. I would like a larger screen though but at the same i want lightweight enough to be able to hold it in one hand without getting tired in short time.

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Just went and checked one out at the AT&T store. Much lighter and easier to hold in one had as compared to my 3rd gen. Same thickness as a Mini.

My advice would be to head to a store with one on display and check it out.

4. patseguin macrumors 65832

patseguin

It's lighter than previous iPads but in no way does it feel fragile to me. In fact it was slightly heavier than I envisioned and the build quality seems very sturdy. It basically just feels like a larger mini and maybe a little more sturdy.

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I think it's light enough.

6. mashinhead macrumors 68020

They called this out on the Gizmodo review too

7. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Yea it is super thin add to that the glass they're using now is so ligtweight, truly lives up to its name the Air.

8. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

It still has the aluminum case, and I think it's less likely to dent from a short fall, or a long fall on a softer surface, because of it's light weight.

I had two 10" iPads I accidentally got corners dented. My iPad mini remained flawless after 10 months.

9. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Mine fell ~12 inches onto a laminate wood floor, end first. More of a slide than a drop and pop, the glass smashed. Inspires ZERO confidence. Awaiting a replacement but I seriously worry about how fragile it is compared to the iPad 2,3,4 & mini which have all suffered drops onto all sorts of surfaces from far greater heights over the years. Could be my first Apple dud product ever :(

10. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Yikes, that's really heartbreaking. The Air feels pretty sturdy to me just holding it, however this has me thinking I should probably use it with a case. I typically only use a TPU cover for the back at home. I did manage to dent a corner of my ipad 3 but the glass never shattered.

11. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I have a product (red) smart case awaiting the replacement.

12. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

Is Gizmodo still banned from Apple events?

13. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Me loves my Smartcase product Red!!

Cute and it feels so much better protected. but it adds 148grams to the package. Not all to much, but still lighter than the iPad 4 without and case.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Called what out?

That if "feels like it could bend?".

That is just their feeling, not a technical or factual review.

15. Daria macrumors regular

Daria