iPad iPad Air space squeeze with IOS 8

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Richard8655, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure this has been discussed many times but looking for confirmation about what I'm experiencing.

Ever since upgrading to IOS 8, I've been squeezed on space with my iPad Air 16gb. Constantly getting storage warnings. The usage setting now shows only 11.6gb available with the rest presumably used by the OS. Never had this issue with previous IOS releases.

1) Is it confirmed that you can't revert to IOS 7?
    2) If above is true, is maximum use of iCloud the only other method that might help?

Totally disgusted with how much space IOS 8 is abusing on devices, especially impacting 16gb versions. I'm done with this size in future purchases (which I'm sure was Apple's intention).

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

To your questions - its a yes on both.

Apple's intention is to maximize revenue per sale and are incessantly driven by their shareholders to not just maintain, but to keep their margins soaring forever into the future. So, do not expect any leeway from them.

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

16GB was the base storage size for the iPhone 3GS back in 2009. It is of course inadequate in 2014.

4. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. As I suspected.

It was more than adequate with IOS 7. I'd say Apple made it inadequate with IOS 8. Had I known, I would have been happy to stay on 7.

5. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

iOS 8 introduced a 'recently deleted' folder in photos app which keeps deleted photos for 30 days before really deleting them. You may check if a lot of deleted photos are in there occupying your precious storage space.

6. Richard8655 thread starter macrumors 6502a

When looking further into what's taking up so much storage on my 16gb iPad, I found 8gb of "other" (seen by connecting the iPad to iTunes). It seems "other" storage is not displayed in the iPad's usage setting, which can lead to confusion.

It also looks like "other" can build up over time and can include corrupted files and data. The recommendation I've read to reduce "other" data that's not needed is restoring the iPad. This I'll try next.

So those iPad owners with larger storage capacity iPads are less likely to notice or run into the "other" space issue, I think.

7. nebrot macrumors regular

nebrot

Hi, I have 3 &4 GB of "Other" on my iOS devices, when connecting to iTunes. What exactly is ths "other" and how can I get rid of it? I am also using 16 GB iOS devices and want to clear them from unused items to get more space. How can I manage the "Other"? Or is other also the OS on the device?

8. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

This has been an issue with iOS for years. It seems to be a buildup of various system and user files that don't get purged for some reason. Doing a complete factory restore and rebuild should clear it.

9. matraco macrumors regular

If you dont want to do a restore, there is an app called "phoneclean" that does the job quickly. For 16 gb ipads it can be very useful imo.