iPad iPad Air speaker quality

Discussion in 'iPad' started by slate0, Nov 4, 2013.

1. slate0 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I just went from an ipad 3 to an air. I like a lot about it, but I'm not sure about the speaker output.

I play a game called clash of clans a lot and the sound seems to get distorted most of the time (with the volume at a comparable level to the ipad 3). The entire thing shakes when I perform actions in the game (free haptic feedback!).

It feels like the speakers are trying to put out more bass than the 3's did, and the result is distortion instead of better sound. Has anyone else experienced this/know what I mean?

2. antwon412 macrumors member

I noticed it as well.

I spent a while playing a couple different songs and trying different EQ modes. I ended up turning it off. Seemed to give me the best SQ for the music I listen to and not too much distortion.

3. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Agreed, the speakers sound quite echoey and strange. Plus they make the device vibrate quite noticeably.

4. slate0 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't even know there was an equalizer. Thanks!

5. neutrino23, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

neutrino23 macrumors 68000

I've just been listening for an hour or so. SQ sounds quite nice, but then I listen to music with little bass.

Edit: OK. After listening to some talk radio, I find I can hear a buzzing sound when listening to the deeper male voices at high volumes. Overall, the iPad air sounds better, but with loud bass it distorts. Good reason to use a Bluetooth speaker.

6. bobright macrumors 601

Huh, I love the quality of mine gives off actual nice sounding bass on some flac/apple lossless rap music I have. I haven't tested any actual games though would think it'd sound fine.

7. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I am coming from an iPad 2, and the difference is considerable. There is actually bass. Even my wife remarked how amazing the Air sounded considering the size of the speakers.

8. Conan86 macrumors 6502

The distortion was actually present in iPad mini as well, especially during the splash screen sound effect.. so I play the game without sound anymore.

I noticed the vibrating speaker effect too, not a fan of it.. made me turn down my volume quite a bit

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I thought the Air speakers sounded great for the size. Don't notice any buzzing or distortion, even when it's cranked.

10. kikumako, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

kikumako macrumors newbie

I ordered an iPad Air 128GB from Apple Online Store. On its arrival I downloaded GarageBand and played the smart guitar in it. When the root notes (the thickest strings) were played with the volume full up, the sound became distorted as if there was an over amplification resulting in a buzzing noise, not vibration of any kind. I noticed the indicator hit the red, which means sound distorted to the max. But the iPad 4th gen didn't "over-amplify" the sound under the same circumstance.

Therefore I asked for a refund and Apple agreed. On the 4th day of its arrival I had to say goodbye to it and to divert to the old iPad 4th gen. I have to wait for the Retina Mini and keep the 4th gen for now.