iPad iPad Air speakers...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TheJustAbout, Nov 1, 2013.

1. TheJustAbout macrumors member

TheJustAbout

Terrible. Compared to the 3rd/4th gen iPad they are really disturbingly bad.

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

AirPlay, Earbuds, Bluetooth, Headphones, etc. Never understood the obsession with sound quality from mobile devices including notebooks, tablets & phones.

3. Bag302 macrumors regular

That sucks to hear. I was hoping for an improvement in sound quality.

Sometimes you just want to share a video with people in the room without setting up speakers.

4. TheJustAbout thread starter macrumors member

TheJustAbout

Not practical. I use it in my home gym. If I want fidelity, I'll use my studio speakers. Great device otherwise. It's a bit like when they went to unibody. The speakers really dropped in quality.

5. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Because sound quality is half of the experience. Video and Audio. You expect that if your alone, you want to not have to wear headphones all the time when using the device.

If you want to hear amazing sound quality, try out the speakers on the kindle hdx. They use dolby digital processing and it sounds way better than any other tablet. After that, listen to the iPad and you will wish Apple put good speakers in it.

6. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

They sound better than the Mini.. I don't remember what my 3rd gen iPad sounded like. I think the Air speakers are clear but almost has too much bass causing distortion.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Actually I prefer others around me not hear my personal conversations which is the only practical reason to use the speakers on a phone.

On a tablet.. I'd be pissed if somebody in the seat in front of me on a plane or train wasn't using headphones or earbuds

If you're at home fine. Invest in a portable Bluetooth speaker or some headphones.

8. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Then why put speakers in it in the first place? You seem to be defending Apple even when they put in lower quality speakers.

When you buy a luxury product, you expect every aspect of that product to be high quality. For instance, buy a BMW or a Mercedes and the sound system is going to be high quality and sound good. The seats will be high quality and feel comfortable. The interior trim will be high quality and shouldn't rattle.

Maybe some people would argue that you drive a car, not use it as a personal audio device so who cares what the speakers sound like, but it is nice to have those amenities and it is expected that they will be high quality when you purchase a luxury product.

This isn't a microsoft or Asus product where you expect some things will be high quality while others will be left lacking. This is Apple and this is a $500+ tablet, not a $250 tablet.

9. Branskins macrumors 65816

10. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Disappointed...Wish they were louder (Cranked all the way up), and facing the user not downward. I know one can use a headphones, but I wish Apple would do like some other tablets have done, and put them face foreword.

11. nemesis4670 macrumors member

I have both the iPad Air and iPad 4 with me now. The speakers do sound a little less powerful. But honestly the iPad 4 speakers were extremely loud and I never had it cranked up anyway... and never do anything that makes a lot of noise without headphones unless I'm by myself... which in that case it's plenty loud for that.

The iPad 4 speakers also seem to have more of a surround sound staging to them. Like the sound shoots forward towards you better, whereas the iPad Air seems to just leak sound from below the device.

There are some cases that have slots that redirect the speakers forwards that can help with this.

But seriously this has not impeded my ability to love this device at all. Guys if you are interested in getting the iPad Air then stick to your guns. There's going to be many threads of people taking a poop on it or nitpicking little things. Some people are more particular and will blow things out of proportion... and they are usually people who are never fully pleased with anything. They will point out the things they hate and make you second guess it. ENJOY IT... I can promise you that you won't be disappointed unless PREMIUM sound quality on a tablet is a deciding factor for you.

I will take crappier speakers anyday in exchange for this sleeker, way thinner, and way lighter design. Especially for when I'm reading comics and just holding it for extended periods. The iPad 4 was way too heavy. Plus the A7 chip is blazing fast with everything I throw at it! Love it! iPad 4 is going up on eBay tonight.

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603