iPad iPad Air - Speed Comparison Videos?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stangs55, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

With the reviews now out there...Are there any videos showing a side-by-side comparison of its speed compared to previous iPads in application loading, web browsing, etc? I've yet to find any...

2. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm interested in seeing this as well. All I've seen is some people saying that it's so fast and responsive and showing that off by...quickly swiping back and forth between home screens! I see this every year lol and it makes me shake my head every time. That or zooming in and out of photos like that wasn't possible before.

Also, what's the point of these massive speed improvements if we're limited by the speed of the ios7 animations? I'm upgrading for the new lightweight form factor but I'm curious to see what all these performance gains are good for.

3. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

I haven't seen any real world speed tests so far, but you can always look for iPhone 5s vs iPhone 5 speed tests to get a good look at speed improvements. The jump from 5 to 5s is the same as 4 to Air in terms of performance.

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

So basically unnoticeable? :p

5. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

For relatively light stuff such as browsing, opening basic apps (mail, music...) the difference will be relatively small. It's with the more heavy stuff (such as rendering HD videos, opening graphics intensive games...) where you'll see much bigger difference (in lots of cases 2x) :)

6. redman042 macrumors 68020

On my iPad 3, browsing complex websites can be filled with lots of little lags. They can get annoying. Same with app switching. There is always a couple second lag before taps are responded to after switching from one app to another. When I'm trying to work quickly, switching between a PDF I'm commenting on and a website for example, this can get annoying.

So I'm hoping (and expecting) that all this will be much smoother on the Air.

Would love to see a video showing this. But it's rare people post tests like this on Youtube.

I'll try to do so after I get my Air tomorrow.

7. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The iPad 4 is already smoother and more responsive than the iPad 3 so I reckon the Air would be a definite upgrade.

8. rovex macrumors 65816

The air is higher clocked than the 5s, not that it would make much difference but let's wait and see

9. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

I'm in the same boat coming from a 3. I'm really hoping things are alot snappier...just browsing the iOS 7 app store is a laborious pain...

I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a few comparison videos yet...these are actually quite common typically.

10. Stangs55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

11. Bathplug, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  12. klover macrumors 6502a

I'm running a 4 and Air side-by-side and both still show chugging animations, stuttering when scrolling (wallpaper options), etc.

Not what I expected from the A7.

13. MikhailT macrumors 601

It is not the A7 or the Air itself, it is the iOS 7 that was rushed on the iPads. There was a reason that many folks that were testing iOS 7 thought that Apple was going to push iOS 7 for iPad further down. They were optimizing first on the iPhones but the iPad was behind 3 to 4 weeks and you could see it as each update improved performance on iPads.

Hopefully iOS 7.1 will be released soon with more improvements for the iPads.

14. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Yours is fuct, I have a few hundred pics on my iPad and scrolling through them in wallpaper settings is silky smooth. All these pics are 2048x2048 or larger.

15. courboy macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong, i'm pleased with my iPad air and it's noticeable lighter than my previous iPad 3 (although my last iPad was the mini so it does seem heavy in comparison).

I am however, surprised to say that I am actually disappointed with the speed. When I say speed, I am not talking about app running speed or the browsing the web; both of those tasks it does perfectly.

What I am disappointed about is the animation speed on iOS 7. For example, if I close the app with the home button or the 4-finger pinch, there is still a noticeable lag in the animation - much the same as it was with the iPad mini. I also find occasional ios7-centric animations are laggy in a similar fashion. It might be that i'm being pedantic and/or iOS 7 needs a software update, but this is certainly noticeable to my eye. It actually takes away somewhat on what should be a thoroughly enjoyable user experience.

16. klover macrumors 6502a

Nope, plenty of others now reporting the same thing.

17. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Sorry to say, but those couple seconds of lag when switching apps is still there. I just tested using a variety of apps and the four-finger swipe. It takes a couple seconds before the new app is responsive.

18. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

But also remember that iPad optimized apps don’t run on iPhones. Technically the A7 is overkill for the the 5S and the apps it runs. In theory the iPad Air is going to take a performance hit before the 5S does because of the much higher resolution given that the GPU and CPU are the same. Apple is trying to make up for it by adding 100mhz to the cpu clock and more thermal headroom to keep the processor running at 1.4ghz longer.

19. OSMac macrumors 65816

20. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Would be interesting to find out what else they have running, also what the background app refresh settings amongst others are set to.

One of our clients had their iPhone 5S sit and cook the battery off in about 2 hours, the cause? Facebook.

Killed the Facebook app and boom, battery lasted all day. Started Facebook again and it was fine.

21. maclook macrumors 65816

Would connecting to airplay ATVs be any faster with the new Air? Whether it be because of the faster chip or wireless tech. That's a comparison id like to see.

22. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

iPad lag

I know it can be frustrating but part of what's causing the lag is Apple's strategy to save battery (and we love to play our iPads all day long). The apps are in deep sleep, not like in a PC/Laptop where they are "live". So the task switcher has to basically "reboot" these apps from a picture/stand-still frame.

The fact that the tablets have little memory also do not help. But if you read the technical reviews, it seems that going from 1GB Ram to 2GB is a major battery drain. :(:(:(

23. dazz87 macrumors 6502

24. MikhailT macrumors 601

Go to Settings > General > Accessibility and turn on Reduced Motion. You'll see a big improvement.