iPad Air Spinning Wheel Question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ydna54, Aug 6, 2014.

1. ydna54 macrumors newbie

Sometimes when I press on a link for an internet site, my iPad takes me right there and the spinning wheel is gone in what seems like a fraction of a second. Other times, the spinning wheel never goes away. This is even though the web site opens and seems like it is "all there", ie, all the viewable material seems to be open. Other times, it seems as though maybe there is a box or area in the website that remains blank, like there is something there that is trying to open up and appear but doesn't. This latter experience seems to happen to me a lot at the New York Times website. Not so much when I press on the link that takes me to the Times' main page. But when I press on an article on the main page, the article will open but the spinning wheel just turns and turns and never goes away.

I have tried holding down the "home" button and "on-off" button at the same time. I have tried doing the reset under "settings". Neither of these approaches makes any difference.

So I guess I am wondering whether what I am describing necessarily is a flaw in my iPad or could it be that the sites for which the spinning wheel never goes away have a "flash" box on the page and so this is just something that all iPads experience on some web sites. Is there anyone else out there who had the same experience with their iPad that I am describing, especially at the New York Times site? Has anyone out there had this experience and actually found a solution? I have seen this type of question discussed in other threads but am still scratching my head. Thank you for your assistance. Andy

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That is normal behavior, and like you guessed, it's because the website is trying to serve graphics, video, or flash content that takes a long time to load. Ignore the spinning and read the page. It will eventually stop. Or better yet, invoke the reader mode so you just see the text and main pictures.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/23/use-safaris-reader-mode-ios-7/

3. ydna54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Night Spring.

The problem is that, even when I go into the reader mode, the spinning wheel keeps spinning. For example, if you go to the New York Times main page right now, you will find an article lined there about the film, The Shawshank Redemption. I opened the article. Wheel spinning. I went to reader mode. The wheel kept spinning and spinning. If you are logged on tonight and see my message, go over there and try it and see what your device does. If the wheel continues spinning in reader mode, is that an indication of a flaw in my iPad Air?

Thanks again for your kind comment. Andy

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You mean this article?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/10/travel/visiting-shawshank-sites-20-years-later.html

For me, the wheel spins for maybe 3-5 seconds, then stops. I switch to Reader mode, same thing.

What iPad do you have, and which iOS version is it on? Did you get it recently? Or did you have it for a while, and this problem just started recently?

But more important, does the wheel spinning interfere with your reading the articles? If not, personally, I wouldn't worry about it, unless your iPad shows other problems.

5. ydna54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your kind reply, Night Spring.

Yes, that is the article at the link you posted is the one I am talking about.

I have the iPad Air. I bought it at an Apple Store on January 31, 2014.

I have not installed the latest IOS update, have just left it there. I am up to date otherwise.

In terms of when the endless spinning started, tough to say exactly. I don't believe it was there for the first three months. I am pretty sure it was not. I never noticed it anyway and am pretty sure I would have if it had been there. I just don't have a clear recollection of looking for it the first three months. However, I would look at the cellular bars or dots that are right next to the wheel that spins and so I am pretty sure it was not there the first three months.

At first I thought I maybe had damaged the screen and that this may be the cause of the spinning wheel not going away. By "damage" I mean that "something" got on the screen when I had it in my backpack and did not have the cover in place. I think it rubbed against the fabric in the backpack and that some of the fabric, a number of specks really, somehow adhered to the screen. When I noticed it, I just used my microfiber cloth that I always use to wipe the Air off after I have used it. I noticed the stuff did not just come right off and I ended up rubbing somewhat more firmly. Well, the stuff came off and at first I thought the screen was no worse for the wear. But then when I had it in natural light, I could see a number of what I will call little tiny speck blemishes where the specks had been.

So I called Apple Care, as I have it for a long while yet, and talked to a rep and he was all ready to send me a replacement device or I guess it might have ended up being one of those refurbished ones, but I decided to hang on to the one I have to see if the spinning wheel persisted. I honestly don't know whether little blemishes on the screen could cause the type of "problem" I am experiencing. Like I said, on many websites, the spinning wheel goes away right away as soon as the site pops up. But there are lots of sites in which the spinning wheel does not go away, period. On others, it persists for even 20-30 seconds and then goes away.

In terms of whether this interferes with my reading of articles, no, in the sense that the article is there to be read. I guess it is more of a psychological thing or distraction, you know, wondering why it is happening and increasingly feeling like that wheel is not supposed to spin indefinitely as often as my iPad air does. And your test of the article I mention kind of confirms that there is a "problem" in some sense of the word.

In terms of whether the device is showing other problems, not that I have really noticed. So anyway, if I have said anything here that you think warrants a comment, I would appreciate knowing your thoughts. Thanks again. Andy

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'd try updating iOS to the latest version. If that doesn't help, I'd try restoring the iPad. On the other hand, since the only effect the spinning is having is being distracting, if you can convince yourself to ignore it, I might just leave it as is until if and when it develops other problems. Especially since your Apple Care is going to last a while yet.