iPad Air, St Davids 2, Cardiff UK

Discussion in 'iPad Launch Meetups' started by jamesash17, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jamesash17 macrumors newbie

I've never done a launch at the Apple store before.

Does anybody have any info on the estimated demand?

And most advised times to arrive?

2. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

3. luvitruff macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to get there a little later than the iPhone launches, figuring demand will be slightly less.

Got there at 05:00 for the 5s, and there was a tidy little queue waiting for us - mainly scalpers though, a few 'families' with grans very committed to getting their new iPhones! :mad:

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

by 'tidy' queue? about how long after opening did it take to get your 5S? I am toying with the idea of going down....

5. luvitruff macrumors newbie

Around 40 people in front of us at 5. Doors opened at 6.
    Out of there by 9:30 with the model I wanted.

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Thanks for the info :)

7. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

So basically if we arrive for the iPad air event for 6:15/6:30 we should be ok?

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Maybe to deal with the scalpers: we should start a campaign whereby genuine apple fans each pay a homeless person to queue for them from the previous night and keep a place for us.

That would a) piss off the scalpers and b) give the homeless a fiver in their pocket (and perhaps each of us could bring them a nice cup of hot soup also).

...Yeh I know, never gonna happen - shame :(

9. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha...

What time are you going to arrive?

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

dunno - 'if' I get the ok to buy one on release day, then probably about 6 (maybe the first MR member setting off can do a 'queue' watch for us?)

:)

11. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm.. I dunno what to do if i get there for 6:30 i think i should be ok but i dunno whats going to go down.

12. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

Ipad air

Hi there

I would have thought its not going be as bad as it was for the iphone 5s, they should have a lot of ipad air's I hope anyway. What time u off down to Cardiff store

----------

Anybody going to get ipad air this Friday at the apple store

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Remember there is more than one way in to St Davids 2 folks!:) Not sure if they just open those main doors, but I can think of three other potenial entry points....Good luck with the lineup though...:D

14. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope so I'm going to get into Cardiff parked and queuing by 6:30. I emailed St Davids 2 enquires asking for information. The replied with the below:

Hi James,

We will open the Tredegar St doors at 0630 so you may decide to queue outside this entrance. Apple tell me they currently plan to open at 0800.

Regards
    Steven Madeley
    Centre Director
    St David's | Dewi Sant

I also went to Cardiff last Saturday and asked in the Apple store and one of their employees didn't even know when the new iPad was out! He said mid-November. I said surely your wrong there! So he had to check on the Apple website. Then I thought I'd ask somebody else, and they didn't even know what the arrangements were etc.

So to be honest I don't know who to believe. But I was advised to call the Apple store Wednesday and they should be more aware of what is going on etc. As it stands I will start to queue at 6:30

15. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

I plan to get there for 8 to be honest. I think a lot of people will go for the ipad mini. Rumors are saying you could pre ordered it this Friday

16. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh well it seems like it could be an Ok launch.
    You might be right about the iPad Mini though :cool:

17. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

ipad air

mac rumors have said that you will be able to order a iPad air and pick up in the store the same day

----------

mac rumors have said you be able to order iPad air online and pick up same day

----------

hi there

did you ring the apple shop later about the iPad air

18. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

mac rumors have said you be able to order iPad air online and pick up same day - Yes but I guess thats US Only....

did you ring the apple shop later about the iPad air - yes i did 2 hours ago and all they could tell me was that the store was opening at 8am. Also, they didn't know what was happening in terms of tickets in the line etc.

But nonetheless I've concluded that I will be arriving in Cardiff at 6:30 pop to get some Breakfast and begin queuing at 6:45am/7:00am. Wait an hour and all will seem to be fine. I also mentioned if she could predict how busy it would be but she seemed ok. She said 'The demand won't be as high as an iPhone launch but she expects stocks will run out but that will be within a few days after launch.'

So if you ask me that was a pretty confident spark from the store itself.

19. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

That's ok then. I should get there for 7.30 I think. I was wondering if it's just going be wifi models only. What gig you going for and colour

20. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

16gb white - wifi

but i'm still debating maybe 32gb.... not sure yet :p

you?

21. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

Might get 32gb. But I did want cellaur one. But I am not sure if they are out Friday. What time u going down

22. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be in the queue for 6:30/7:00

23. Morgs30 macrumors newbie

Won't get there till about 7.30. I heared there having plenty of ipad air's in

24. JayJamesWaller macrumors regular

JayJamesWaller

This will be the first time that I've ever been to a launch event, having previously just done pre-orders online but since they seem to have removed that feature I'll be looking to get myself a Space Grey 16GB WIFI iPad Air tomorrow. Problem is, I have a University lecture that starts at 9am too, although my University is literally just round the corner. Will I be able to queue up early (say 6:30-7?) and get my iPad in time do you reckon guys? :)

25. jamesash17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey. thats the time I aim to get there for.. Its my first time too so who knows.. But i think we should be ok! :D