iPad iPad Air storage problem?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Vermillon, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Vermillon macrumors member

Hi

I have just received my 32GB ipad air how ever there seems to be something wrong storage wise, when I looked at the capacity it sais 29.81GB, now that's fair enough I know its never really 32GB but what gets to me is that i see available to me out of that i only have 24GB of space ? So in other words ive lost 8GB of space ? Is that correct or is there a problem with my iPad ?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

So the outright capacity is 29.81GB.

Below that, it shows Available. For you, this is showing 24GB? You said you just received it, have you restored a backup to it? Signed in to iCloud? Doing either of these will load previous data such as photos, etc.

To see what is using storage, go to Settings, General, Usage. Wait for that to load, and it will tell you how much storage each app is taking.

3. Vermillon thread starter macrumors member

that is correct, i have literally just taken it out of the box, i have now updated it too ios 7.1 and free memory is now 26.47GB and capacity is 27.41 is that about right?

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sounds about right.

I think I know what was causing your readings before - the iOS 7.1 OTA download takes about 3.5 GB of space - which is why you're available space was so low. Now it's installed, that space has come back.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

They really should make the OTA download happen when you click "update" and not before, as this can cause issues with people running out of space at a time they aren't ready to upgrade.