Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSwede

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Mi Air locked itself randomly, very annoying if you have a passcode.. Went online and found old threads referring to the lock/unlock with a cover feature. The random locking only occure when using a cover in the "open" position, flipped to the back of the device. I turned "lock/unlock" feature off and the issue went away. I guess the magnets in the Air smartcover are really strong, i never had this problem with my iPad 4.

Are other Air owners using smartcover experiencing the same issues or is my iPad Air super ultra mega sensitive? :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems easy to troubleshoot. Use the iPad w/o the case. If iPad doesn't lock in the typical time you've been experiencing voila! Defective case. Exchange for new. If the issue persists exchange the Air for a new one.

TheSwede

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Without the smartcover everything is fine, but it still leaves me thinking - is it my iPad Air that is too sensitive or is something wrong with my particular smartcover? I guess the only way to find out is to exchange the cover for another one. It should be very unlikely I get two defective smartcovers..

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Without the smartcover everything is fine, but it still leaves me thinking - is it my iPad Air that is too sensitive or is something wrong with my particular smartcover? I guess the only way to find out is to exchange the cover for another one. It should be very unlikely I get two defective smartcovers..

It could be either but likely the cover w/ magnets too strong. I agree high odds to get two bad covers so that should clear up the mystery either way.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Mi Air locked itself randomly, very annoying if you have a passcode.. Went online and found old threads referring to the lock/unlock with a cover feature. The random locking only occure when using a cover in the "open" position, flipped to the back of the device. I turned "lock/unlock" feature off and the issue went away. I guess the magnets in the Air smartcover are really strong, i never had this problem with my iPad 4.

Are other Air owners using smartcover experiencing the same issues or is my iPad Air super ultra mega sensitive? :)

Take of the Smart Case/Cover and see if it continues.

TheSwede

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
seems as it was the iPad that was faulty and not the cover. I had both replaced though. This issue is not happening with the replacement, however the screen of the new iPad Air is not as nice as the one had..

I exchanged one issue for another :) C'est la vie...

Barhen

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2013
seems as it was the iPad that was faulty and not the cover. I had both replaced though. This issue is not happening with the replacement, however the screen of the new iPad Air is not as nice as the one had..

I exchanged one issue for another :) C'est la vie...

Return it and get another iPad. You have every right to be satisfied with your purchases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.