iPad iPad Air the best windows 8 tablet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ronkuba, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ronkuba macrumors member

I have always use my iPads from the ipad 2, 3 and 4 with Remote Desktop (jump app) and they always have a lot of lag. With the iPad air I notice that windows 8.1 works flawless on it. I can even edit video from my iPad. Obviously this wouldn't replace a windows tablet and only works great on your home network but it's a nice feature. I haven't tried Microsoft new remote app but I'm sure it works just as well.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Best windows 8 tablet?

No. The iPad is running iOS, it isn't actually running windows 8.

3. ronkuba thread starter macrumors member

Really! I didn't now this, thanks for the heads up:rolleyes:

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I am wanting to try the Parallels app to run Windows VMs on a Mac and access them via the iPad. Sound promising.

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The term best used in conjuction with Windows 8 is an oxymoron. :rolleyes:

6. Macalway macrumors 68000

So your saying Remote Desktop is greatly improved?

Confirmation of this would be helpful

7. protoxx macrumors 6502

protoxx

There's an app for that.

8. Alundra macrumors regular

9. ronkuba thread starter macrumors member

I always used jump in the App Store. I paid for it and never tried anything else. It works well with RDP on windows

10. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

My guess is the MIMO wireless upgrade is the main thing. More streams means a faster and more stable connection to your desktop over the local network.

11. erawsd macrumors 6502

It certainly not better than a surface for w8. However, Splashtop does an amazing job of running remote windows 8 since it activates the touch controls and gestures.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

When you make the claim that the ipad air is a windows 8 tablet you give the impression that you are ignorant of what is running where. When you run software like Remote Desktop you aren't actually running the target system... It's simply a "viewport" into that system.

13. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

Way confused... how are you running Win 8? Either way, I'm sure it isn't better than my Surface Pro 2 that is specifically built for it.

edit- what a dumb thread title, lol. Anyhow, upon reading, I have REALLY been liking Splashtop as my remote viewer. I'll have to try these others mentioned.

14. Macalway macrumors 68000

Remote Desktop is really a generic term.

I'm interested in Spalshtop and if there is a significant improvement, that would be awesome

Also, the OP knows what he's doing, and as usual sarcasm is lost to this forum, which is ok as it's so multinational. But I'll admit the thread title is not the best ;)

15. ronkuba, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

ronkuba thread starter macrumors member

If you don't like the title go look some place else. What exactly can you do on your surface that a desktop couldn't???? Other then taking it with you. I know kind of the point. Hindsight I would probably change the title but it's to late I believe. The jump app has always served me well.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm curious how this is working for you when you don't have an Internet connection?

Or do you plan on hauling a battery, wireless router, and a regular Windows computer just so you can use remote desktop on your iPad? :rolleyes:

17. ronkuba thread starter macrumors member

Did you read my original post? I said you would obviously only use this on your home network. So your smart a** comment are a hit and miss

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can edit thread title by editing your original post.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah I read you original post.

In case you couldn't read understand response, it meant I did not see you point as valid. I don't think it's the best Windows tablet.

20. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Yes. Splashtop is AWESOME!! Controlling windows 8 I can even play games with little lag on a really, really slow network on my iPad 2. I also love the windows 8 gesture support.

21. ronkuba thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I mainly use it to control my two media center. I'm a cord cutter and get all my content from OTA, STREAM, and XBMC. It's nice when there a problem to be able to work in the background to fix the issue while my wife and kids are still able to watch tv. Only reason I still have any Windows Pc is because of WMC and the DVR ease of use. Only negative I notice so far with the ipad air is when I airplay NFL Gamepass to my appletv it worse then it use to be. I'm going to give it a little more time but I tried it with my daughter ipad mini last night and it work flawless so I'm leaning toward it being a problem on the air. I would make a thread but after this one not sure I'm doing that anymore;)