Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arpetee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi all,

So I'm having a bit of an internal struggle. I'm getting the iPhone 6 Plus, and I have an iPad Air currently. I'm having a difficult time justifying keeping my iPad once I have my iPhone. I currently have an Android phone, and originally bought an Android tablet and ended up selling it because it was essentially just a bigger version of my phone. I wanted something different so I bought the iPad. Now that I'm getting the iPhone, I'm thinking I will feel the same way with the iPad. I'm aware the screen size difference is still substantial, but aside from that can anyone who has both, or used both, give me any reason to hold on to my iPad? Basically, what can my iPad do that my iPhone won't be able to? I don't want to regret selling it, but I also just don't think I'll need it. Thanks!

refslady

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Thawing North
Hi all,

So I'm having a bit of an internal struggle. I'm getting the iPhone 6 Plus, and I have an iPad Air currently. I'm having a difficult time justifying keeping my iPad once I have my iPhone. I currently have an Android phone, and originally bought an Android tablet and ended up selling it because it was essentially just a bigger version of my phone. I wanted something different so I bought the iPad. Now that I'm getting the iPhone, I'm thinking I will feel the same way with the iPad. I'm aware the screen size difference is still substantial, but aside from that can anyone who has both, or used both, give me any reason to hold on to my iPad? Basically, what can my iPad do that my iPhone won't be able to? I don't want to regret selling it, but I also just don't think I'll need it. Thanks!

I prefer my iPad Mini to my iPhone for watching movies and reading Kindle. Yes, I CAN do the same thing on both, but the extra screen size on my iPad Mini makes it a better experience for me.

Reactions: dellaster

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
It really depends what you want to use the iPad for, for example; if it is for some form of productivity, i.e email, pages/word or simply watching movies and general internet surfing to name just a few, then the larger screen iPad is fantastic, also remember that there are a lot of apps which are simply not optimized for iPhone.

The iPad and iPhone 6 are 2 totally different products, I suspect you are just not using the iPad for very much, but when you understand the potential and use it more you will see why you should keep it,

Hope this helps,

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I think the 6+ may pair well with the iPad, but I think a 6+ and mini would be too close. At least for me personally. Since I have the rMini, I went with the 6 for the smaller size. I can use the mini when I want to bigger screen.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I would keep the iPad for home use. When portability isn't an issue, almost everything is a more pleasant experience using the larger screen.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I thought about getting the 6+ and getting rid of my rMini. However, I would rather have the 6 and keep the rMini. Even if I did go with the + I would keep my rMini since I use them for different things. Sometimes my uses cross over (iMessage, email, etc) when my phone battery is low or dead.

More devices for everyone! :)

LemPh

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2014
I think the 6+ may pair well with the iPad, but I think a 6+ and mini would be too close. At least for me personally. Since I have the rMini, I went with the 6 for the smaller size. I can use the mini when I want to bigger screen.

Same here! :)

sdiori

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
For me, a 6 Plus, which is what I'm getting, and an iPad Air makes sense. I love my rMini, which I've sold to a friend, but it feels like a competing device. I'll see what Apple has up it's sleeve for October because I'd really like an iPad Air with TouchID, which I'm sure is in the works.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.

They arent close actually. In terms of screen real estate the 6S is less then half the screen area.

Tks Hammie, the link shows the iPad Mini is 209% larger screen area, i.e 2.1 times more area

Last edited:

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Here is a screen size comparison of the Mini and 6+ :

http://www.displaywars.com/7,9-inch-4x3-vs-5,5-inch-16x9

7,9-inch-4x3-vs-5,5-inch-16x9.png

Last edited:

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
No. I still have my iPad 3 (it still works so why replace it) and it will not be redundant.

I take my iPad and a bluetooth keyboard to school for notes versus my 15" rMBP. The iPad can run MS Office (much better than the mobile iPhone version). It's still more enjoyable to browse the web (desktop style tabs) and play games on.

Also, and this is just social norm, the iPad is viewed differently than a phone. For example, I've had professors that were fine with people using iPads in class since they were "computers" but some kids got called out for taking notes on their phones since they were "phones." If I go to a meeting or conference I can't take out my phone, but I can take out my iPad.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I have a 6.4 inch Sony Ultra and I prefer using the ipad air whenever I can. A 6+ isnt going to replace the ipad air nor even the mini.

If the mini could make calls I would be using that as my main phone.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I have a 6.4 inch Sony Ultra and I prefer using the ipad air whenever I can. A 6+ isnt going to replace the ipad air nor even the mini.

If the mini could make calls I would be using that as my main phone.

iOS8 it will, although you need the iPhone too, it extends to Touch, iPad, mac

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
iPad is not a phone it is a tablet and iPhone 6 Plus is a phone not a tablet so I am planning to buy an iPhone 6 Plus in 3 months. :apple:

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Currently selling my iPad Air and my iPhone 5S in order to get the 6+, and even though I love the iPad, I can live without it. Especially with a 6+ and a MBP.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It completely depends on how widely you distinguish your use cases (and also how much money you have). There are forum members who vehemently justify how they can present the perfect use cases for owning an iPad 4 and an iPad Air.

There is quite a lot of overlap in functionality (excluding the calling features limited to the iPhone). It all matters as to how many devices you are willing to pay for, to have narrow(er) windows of convenience.

eggersj

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
Love my air... I am gonna throw an ottorbox on it for kid duty once the new ipad comes out in Oct...

Iphone 6+ hasn't affected my decision

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I have a bunch of iBooks that only work on the iPad. So I will still keep my iPad Air for more serious reading. However web surfing and such will be done with the iPhone 6 Plus.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
You know how they say "the best camera is the one you have with you"? With the 6 Plus, I'm pretty sure that phrase is going to apply to many things. "The best ebook reader is the one you have with you", "the best web browser is the one you have with you", etc.

It might not be a better experience than an iPad Air, but it'll be the more convenient experience and will for that reason get used way more.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Of the three categories, I'd pick two:

1) iPhone or iPod Touch
2) iPad or iPad Mini
3) Macbook Pro or Macbook Air

At the moment, I have a Macbook Pro and an iPod Touch. I intend to retire my iPod, and buy an iPad, and do not feel the need to get an iPhone, or another iPT.

I really just want a portable work powerhouse, and an even more portable entertainment and games system. Whether that's an iPhone and iPad, or iPad and MBP.

AlexSykes

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
East Midlands, UK
I use my iPad Air for University lectures and for sending emails to clients, personally I couldn't see myself using the 6 Plus full time for work.
Although I guess with certain other tasks people might find a 6 Plus that they can carry in their pocket a lot better than the iPad Air/iPad Mini? To me though I don't think my iPhone would ever replace my iPad for productivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.